Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Is this a featherweight? >

Is this a featherweight?

Is this a featherweight?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 PM

It's not just an old machine it's a old Singer.These old machines just didn't know when to quit.Is it in working condition? I say use it and enjoy it.I sew on my old Morse all the time,simply because it makes better stitches than either one of my newer ones.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
You can FMQ on a featherweight, too.
I haven't tried FMQ on my Featherweight because a) I didn't know the feed dogs would drop Or are you covering them? and b) I can't imagine wrangling with a large quilt on that small machine. Depending on the answer for "a" I might try it for small projects though. Will be watching for your reply. Thx.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by bluejay
What makes a sewing machine a featherweight? I got this at an auction and it is in a case and it is really heavy. A friend of mine told me it is NOT a featherweight. Besides an old machine what is it?
First, gorgeous machine!

Second, see my attempts to figure out my machine:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42596-1.htm, it directs you to some places to find out more about YOUR machine.

Then, do a search here on the group, there is a section on Vintage Machines, and tells how to restore them too, if needed.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM

It's a 15-91! and a gorgeous one. Not really portable, as you can see. But totally heavy duty. I have one. that baby will sew through ANYTHING. Leather, jeans, you name it. you have a great machine! Not a featherweight, but a wonderful machine. Join our vintage thread and have fun.

I bought mine on the advice of the experts here, and it is everything they said it would be.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I haven't tried FMQ on my Featherweight because a) I didn't know the feed dogs would drop Or are you covering them? and b) I can't imagine wrangling with a large quilt on that small machine. Depending on the answer for "a" I might try it for small projects though. Will be watching for your reply. Thx.
The feed dogs do not drop and although I have a cover, I do not use it. I set my stitch length to zero, release the pressure on the presser foot, use a thin batting like Warm & Natural, and do any size quilt I want. Oh, I have also converted a dining table to a sewing table by using foam insulation sheets to cover the table & raise its height to the height of my needle plate.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Google 'featherweight sewing machine' in images and you will see several photos of true featherweight machines.

http://www.google.com/images?q=feath...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1381&bih=643
Old 02-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I do quite a bit of FMQ on my Featherweight. To release the pressure on the pressure foot, you loosen the screw knob on the top of the left of the machine right next to the face plate. I also have the cover for the feed dogs but have never used it.

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
The feed dogs do not drop and although I have a cover, I do not use it. I set my stitch length to zero, release the pressure on the presser foot, use a thin batting like Warm & Natural, and do any size quilt I want. Oh, I have also converted a dining table to a sewing table by using foam insulation sheets to cover the table & raise its height to the height of my needle plate.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:30 PM

how nice