Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I did it! >

I did it!

I did it!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 AM

Ooohhhhhhhhhh I have been doing the hexies for a long time now. just love them! the hand work is sooooooo relaxing while watching t.v. or just sitting around. I took my little plastic container with me to the doctors office last time and you would be suprized what a conversation starter it is. Brings back a lot of memories for people who had grandmothers that quilted. When I started my hexies I immediately went out and bought the plastic hexies with the hole in the center. this time around I am using a different method. you take freezer paper and place one piece the sticky piece on top of the non sticky side and press. you now have a double piece of freezer paper. Now mark your hexie shapes on this paper and cut them out. take them to the back of your fabric and press them down. you now have a portable hexie with no pins to stick you and you don;t have to carry all of those little hexie things around with you. they are already attached. makes it so handy to grab and go. once you have sewn them together its an easy matter of pulling out your freezer paper and you are done. sounds crazzy but it works beautifully.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by OHSue
I have also been bitten by the english PP bug. Check out Cindy McCoy's sitefor some free patterns and tons of instruction.

http://www.cddesigns.com/PaperPiecing/index.html

I also wish folks who complain about not being welcome into a new guild would read your post, sounds like you have some new friends.
thanks for the link......and to be perfectly honest...I am NOT a people person. It takes a long time for me to make friends. Going to these meetings means pushing myself. I could very easily just hide in a corner BUT I'm only going to get out of it what I put into it so I'm going and making myself get involved. I really want some "quilty" friends and this is a good way to make them I think.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
Originally Posted by OHSue
I have also been bitten by the english PP bug. Check out Cindy McCoy's sitefor some free patterns and tons of instruction.

http://www.cddesigns.com/PaperPiecing/index.html

I also wish folks who complain about not being welcome into a new guild would read your post, sounds like you have some new friends.
thanks for the link......and to be perfectly honest...I am NOT a people person. It takes a long time for me to make friends. Going to these meetings means pushing myself. I could very easily just hide in a corner BUT I'm only going to get out of it what I put into it so I'm going and making myself get involved. I really want some "quilty" friends and this is a good way to make them I think.
What you say just re-enforces what I have commented on other posts about folks not feeling welcome at a new meeting. You have to go outside your comfort zone. When someone says the person next to me never spoke to me, well maybe the person you sat next to is just as shy as you. I feel you get what you give out of an experience. If you see someone with a quilt in their arms, admire it. If you see someone in charge of exchanges, go investigate.
I know that sometimes a guild may not seek out new members, and maybe that makes them a bad host. But no need to be a bad guest, make it a point to speak to at least one person. If that person doesn't respond, seek out someone else. I find it impossible to believe that in any gathering of more than a few people there isn't one friendly person. What harm comes from not being befriended, does that ruin quilting for you? And if we all made our judgements made on a single experience....no one would ever try quilting.... because most folks don't perfect that on their first time, either.
Sorry to ramble.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 AM

Good for you! I love my quilt guild and it sounds like you were warmly welcomed. Enjoy.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM

The hexagons are great things to carry with you. I did enough to make a quilt last year while recuperating from having a heart stent procedure. I live in a large retirement community that has two different quilting groups. Have been thinking about joining--maybe your post has convinced me!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM

Nicely done!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:24 PM

Like that idea of the leaves and the stem for a runner
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Very nice!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 PM

I just called the LQS and they have one that meets the 4th Tuesday of the month.....so.....maybe I will show up there. She said they have around 35 in theirs.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 AM

Thank you everyone for the links! I have never wanted to do hexies, well, now I do! LOL!