Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
i'd rather put my head in the toilet.... >

i'd rather put my head in the toilet....

i'd rather put my head in the toilet....

Old 08-24-2014, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I think if you cover the other stuff you will see it in a better way. I know the other stuff are probably other projects but they still draw your eye to them. I would cover them up or take them down or flip them. The quilts will be beautiful when you're done.
That is what I would do also, it could be confusing the total picture of the main fairy and blocks. I need to have a clean slate to lay things out, then take pictures and see how it looks from that mode. Can move things around and still have pictures to find the right one to finish with.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Definitely a quilter's challenge
Old 08-24-2014, 06:14 AM

At first look it looks a little harsh. I would try fairy frost to soften it up. Maybe that's what's throwing you off.When I think of fairies it's fluffy and airy.I do love it my myself, but if you don't like it it will be a chore to finish it.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
In the post it seems like the log cabin pinks and purples do not go with the lavender in the panel...is that what is throwing this off? Maybe just a border or two around the panel and some pinwheels to keep it simple. Love the fairy panel and am sure it will be beautiful when you finish it. Good luck!
Thank you fstamper for actually giving suggestions for this quilt. I think the layout is too busy and agree to eliminate the log cabins and border the fairies and let them be the focal point of the quilt. Ellen
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 AM

Although I think the idea of the log cabin blocks will look good, I agree with Ifstamper; I think the colors of the blocks are too bright. Maybe if you tone them down to pastels, it will help
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Maybe start with JUST the panel prints and parts that you are going to use - clear everything else off the design wall.

If you still like the idea of log cabins, pin wheels, whatever - one can elongate them to reflect the size of the small "pictures."
Attached Thumbnails elongate063.jpg  
Old 08-24-2014, 07:28 AM

Are you working with a pattern? Your fairy blocks are not the same size as your log cabin, therefore, I would build borders out EQ7, you can plan out these borders. When I say borders, I mean using the log cabins around the panel, How many fairy blocks to you have? Has your friend see the panel? Ask her why no white or cream....let her know that is what is in the panel. Then use a pink or blue backing not white...she might go for that. it would give you more options moving forward. Or, if the fairy blocks are too sporadic to use on the front....but them on the back of the quilt and do your log cabins around your panel. best wishes
Old 08-24-2014, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

It will be wonderful when you finish. May it go quickly
Old 08-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I think it is coming out darling! My suggestion is where ever there would have been the cream you want to use, just substitute it out for the soft pink. That would give you the sashing's and borders you are looking for.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

You got some great responses and ideas. I agree that the log cabin and fairy panel colors crash. A much softer and subtle fabric like pastels will do better.

I googled and found this- https://www.google.com/search?q=Mary...fairy+quilt&tb

Click on images.

Here is one on pintrest.
http://www.pinterest.com/alliwathen/fairy-quilts/

I think this particular panel is very soft and pastel in color so I would not add strong colors.

Fairy frost pastels would be great but most likely not affordable for something you do not get paid for. Maybe you can add just a little here or there but stick to the pastels.

Some of the most beautiful quilts have been made with these panels. I agree that the smaller ones are not needed and are taking away from the main panels. Maybe make a pillow sham with some of you do want to use them or put them on the back. You can just applique them onto the back fabric or onto the sham by just turning under the edge.

A simple border and simple blocks of the right fabric is all it needs.

Here is an idea on how to use the small panels alongside the large panel. I am not sure if you have enough small panels or additional fabric to do this.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/5136987048764245/

Last edited by Annaquilts; 08-24-2014 at 09:03 AM.