Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Irish Chain and a few questions

Irish Chain and a few questions

This is my third quilt, for my nephew who loves tractors. Next, is a close-up of one of the blocks and then close-up of a tractor square. Sorry for the poor light, it's cloudy here today.
    Name:  DSC_1916htrh.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  157.0 KB
    Name:  DSC_1918jdtrygn.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  72.6 KB

Power Poster
    very nice good job!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Heres the third picture. For some reason it wouldn't let me put anything up after the second picture.
    Name:  DSC_1919rtjg.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  110.9 KB
    My first question would be what type of quilting should I use for this quilt? I was thinking of quilting 1/4 inch all the way around each 9 patch square (can't remember what that is called) or quilting a grid through the 9 patches. I have no idea how to quilt the blank squares. But i was also wondering if it was possible to trace my nephews hands onto fabric and then appliqueing (sp?) them into the blank yellow blocks. What is the easiest way to do that and would I do it BEFORE layering the quilt?

Great job, Thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Forgot to say that I was planning on using the tractor fabric for the backing, too.

Power Poster
    Appliqué work is easier to do on the top before sandwiching. Are you planning fusible appliqué with Wonderunder or needle turn appliqué? I prefer fusible appliqué myself and I iron Wonderunder or Mistyfuse to the back of the fabric and then cut out the shape.The shape is then fused with the iron to the background and the edge is finished with a machine buttonhole or satin stitch. I think tracing his hand for the plain blocks would be cute. You could trace and include his whole family's hands on the plain blocks and hand embroider the names underneath. Really cute John Deere quilt top!

Blog Entries
    actually I would FM as you are quilting, the hands into the yellow. very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Appliqué work is easier to do on the top before sandwiching. Are you planning fusible appliqué with Wonderunder or needle turn appliqué? I prefer fusible appliqué myself and I iron Wonderunder or Mistyfuse to the back of the fabric and then cut out the shape.The shape is then fused with the iron to the background and the edge is finished with a machine buttonhole or satin stitch. I think tracing his hand for the plain blocks would be cute. You could trace and include his whole family's hands on the plain blocks and hand embroider the names underneath. Really cute John Deere quilt top!
    Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll definitely do that. Again, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by nunnyJo View Post
    actually I would FM as you are quilting, the hands into the yellow. very nice
    Is FM free motion? I've never machine quilted before (never hand quilted either, just tied) so the pattern would have to be something simple. I just can't think of anything.
    Also, I'm not sure what color thread to use for this quilt. Since I'm a beginner I don't really want it to show up.

One more question, I promise only one more, lol. The quilt is a little too narrow (the blocks came out smaller that they were supposed to be) so I want to put a border around it. My question is should I use the tractor fabric for the border or something else? I'm also using that fabric for the backing so i don't know if it would be too much of one fabric.

Really great quilt.

Look!! I figured out the multiquote thingy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast