Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Long arm quilting machines >

Long arm quilting machines

Long arm quilting machines

Old 02-16-2015, 08:12 AM

After having my 1st and only commissioned quilt quilted by someone else and after getting it back, she didn't do as I had asked and this was just simple meandering no less, I decided I could do that on my own. So when a friend of mine was going to check out the Viking MegaQuilter 9" I tagged along. That was the start of owning my own quilt machine. I added the PCQ robotics to my system, the moved up to the MQR retrofit, then to a stretched Juki 98Q till finally finished up with a Innova 26" on a 12 foot frame (previously had 10ft) and upgraded the MQR for the Big Boys. I quilt only for myself but my quilts are gifts for others. Have yet to make a quilt for one of my own beds yet. Yes, its an investment to say the least but I'm very happy how I got here starting small and working my way up. Didn't know if I'd even like to quilt but obviously the quilt bug got me good. Now I have my entire basement designated for sewing/quilting.

I wasn't even in the market to upgrade to this last machine but when I went to my 1st quilt show and got to test out a larger machine, I was hooked. I'm retired so on a limited budget and I seem to be kept poor with my hobby but I'm a happy camper just the same. My quilt gifts give others enjoyment when they receive one as they never know they're getting one till I lay it in their hands...............plus with it being so cold this winter, they do enjoy using it right now.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Try many brands of machines first. Inquire about classes and help support. Take the LA class at your LQS first to see if you even enjoy the process. And after all that make sure you have plenty of room for a machine, a good rule of thumb is 3 ft of clearance on all sides.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:32 PM

I do not own a long arm machine, but I do rent time on one at my local quilt shop. That for me is the way to go. Oh and it is a Nolting 24" and sews like a dream. No tension problems, that I hear so much about.