Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Quilt off the long arm...whew!

My First Quilt off the long arm...whew!

This has been a busy spring for me. Yard work always takes over my live in the springtime! Something wonderful came into my life last month! We finally bought a long arm!!! Oh my, I am so intimidated by it, but I've been practicing on my 'uglies' (fabric I bought so long ago and now I wonder why did I buy that???) So I decided I needed to take the bull (long arm) by the horns and make a quilt that I could use. DH and I live in a house that is too big for 2 people but we love it here and it's great for company.(My 3 DS, my DD and my Mom were here for a quilting fest for over a week! What a blast we had! Anyway when it's just the 2 of us, we turn off central air and use room air conditioners in the rooms we normally use. I wanted to hang a quilt in the entryway to block cool air from going into the formal living room and dining room. It took less than 2 weeks to complete it. You can probably tell that I 'ad libbed' it together. After it was pieced, I decided I didn't like the stark white with the black and red, so I mixed up some watery brownish craft paint and painted it. That improved it a lot!
    Quilting is mostly just stipple and circles. I'm finding it difficult to make rounded shapes and things tend to get squared off and my circles have flat tops! I did see some improvement by the time I finished it, so all in all I am happy with the results. This one will probably become a 'picnic quilt' someday when I have time and proficiency on 'Lizzie' to make another one!
    Attached Images Attached Images            

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    It's very pretty. Enjoy your new long arm.

What program do you use to put words in your photos?

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

Power Poster
    Congratulations on your new machine! I really like your quilt for the doorway!

Your doorway quilt is a work of art and coordinates so well with the wall color!

Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    Your doorway quilt is a work of art and coordinates so well with the wall color!
    Love the quilt and envy you your Tin Lizzie, just color me green.

It takes a bit to make friends with your longarm. The second quilt will be faster and easier than the first and the 100th will be an absolute breeze. I love the quilt.
    DEB CAVAN

Blog Entries
    nicely done
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    Nicely done.....you are well on your way. You quilting looks great!

Cute quilt and the quilting looks great. I love how you're using the quilt, too. I've used sheets for backing, too. It turns out nice as long as I don't use a 100% polyester sheet. Last thought, if you get tired of the front you can just turn the back to the front.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Power Poster
    very nice!!!
    QUILTNMO

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast