Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My newest quilt done

This is the first time I tried anything like this. To the rest of you it is probably amateur, but for me this is a real accomplishment! It is a gift for a 16th birthday for our friends in Denmark's handicapped child.

Blog Entries
    Well....I bet it is gorgeous...can you post a pic of it???

I am trying

Tulla's quilt
    Name:  Attachment-35524.jpe
Views: 47
Size:  81.4 KB

As I look at it in this picture it doesn't look as colorful as it is in person... I am disappointed. It is real girlie girl fun quilt. I know she will love it.

OMG :twisted: I am seeing lots of problems with the pattern I did not see here at home.

I love it! She will too!!
    Pictures sometimes do not do justice to the colors! At least mine never did!

That's pretty and does look rather girly :) I'm sure she'll love it.

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like that pattern!!! You did a fantastic job!! What's the name of that pattern? It's now on my "to do" list!!!

Blog Entries
    1. it doesn't look "amateur" at all. i've seen plenty of quilts like that for sale for hefty prices.
    2. it's obviously very pretty. besides, most of us are less than thrilled by the way our cameras change the colors and contrast of things we want to post.
    3. there's nothing wrong with it. string quilts are supposed to be whimsical, casual, comforting and inviting. your quilt is all of those things.

ya did good, kiddo. :thumbup:

The pattern is actually an old Norwegian kind of pattern used by house wives many years ago. It was a utilitarian way to use up fabric pieces. They made pillows and other things with it.

I live in Norway and had seen many pilllows using it but didn't know how to quilt then.

Lately, I found the idea in a book called "Sew in a Row Quilts" by Karin Hellaby. She lives in the UK, but her parents were Norwegian. She calls the pattern CHOP SUEY.

It is easy, just choose your colors, cut them into strips of varying sizes then sew the strips together. After that cut the piece into squares and then cut the squares into 4 diagonally.

You can put them together in a myriad of ways. After playing with it for several days we decided to make this pattern and separate the parts with sashing.

Hugs

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast