I quilted a top for an acquaintance, and I got it finished and bound on Saturday. It is from her late MIL and it's for her teen-aged DD. I saw quite a few rusty spots on it where there were some pins left on it for a while, so I soaked it in RetroClean. Big mistake...the spots came out, but some of the colors bled! I thought the top had been washed, the back was so ragged when I got it (pictures below). I repaired holes where the hand stitching had come apart from being handled for so long. Another reason I washed it was because I added a charge on that would cover repairing any places that needed it, and I wanted to be sure I had it well repaired. That part is doing great -- so far! I've washed and scrubbed it at least 6 times, and soaked it, and if she wants me to do it for the original price, I'll replace the back part that's discolored and try to patch the front with some older fabric I have. It won't match, but it'll be closer than the new stuff I have.
The ragged back
The quilt after quilting, but before washing
The color bleeds on front after washing (2 different places):
more bleeding on back
So, now that I'm just disgusted with myself, I think I'll go have a good cry! AND try to remember not to wash any more customer's quilts! Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders!