Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Note to self: DON'T do this again!

Note to self: DON'T do this again!

I quilted a top for an acquaintance, and I got it finished and bound on Saturday. It is from her late MIL and it's for her teen-aged DD. I saw quite a few rusty spots on it where there were some pins left on it for a while, so I soaked it in RetroClean. Big mistake...the spots came out, but some of the colors bled! I thought the top had been washed, the back was so ragged when I got it (pictures below). I repaired holes where the hand stitching had come apart from being handled for so long. Another reason I washed it was because I added a charge on that would cover repairing any places that needed it, and I wanted to be sure I had it well repaired. That part is doing great -- so far! I've washed and scrubbed it at least 6 times, and soaked it, and if she wants me to do it for the original price, I'll replace the back part that's discolored and try to patch the front with some older fabric I have. It won't match, but it'll be closer than the new stuff I have.

The ragged back
    Name:  009.JPG
Views: 7224
Size:  16.7 KB
    Name:  013.JPG
Views: 7215
Size:  16.3 KB

The quilt after quilting, but before washing
    Name:  finished 8-27-12.JPG
Views: 7237
Size:  57.6 KB

The color bleeds on front after washing (2 different places):
    Name:  MVC-005S.JPG
Views: 7223
Size:  38.3 KB
    Name:  MVC-006S.JPG
Views: 7222
Size:  39.6 KB
    Name:  MVC-007S.JPG
Views: 7227
Size:  47.2 KB
    more bleeding on back
    Name:  MVC-008S.JPG
Views: 7234
Size:  35.0 KB

So, now that I'm just disgusted with myself, I think I'll go have a good cry! AND try to remember not to wash any more customer's quilts! Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders!
    Attached Images Attached Images

A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Looks like quite a project!! You're doing good so far!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Try "Awesome" cleaner from Dollar General. It is amazing. Yellow liquid in a spray bottle.

Can you possibly rewash it and use the Color Catcher sheets? I always use these with anything that is valuable to me! I love them. So sorry, and good luck!
    Claudia

Quote Originally Posted by tk7401 View Post
    Try "Awesome" cleaner from Dollar General. It is amazing. Yellow liquid in a spray bottle.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did try this earlier today, and I scrubbed the places with a toothbrush and washed in really warm water. Then I rescrubbed with Awesome, then some Clorox 2, then rewashed in hot water. The bleeding faded a little (the pictures were made after 4 scrubbings and washings). I thought I might try some Synthropol if I can find some today but I think it's probably too late for that. I won't see this woman until later today to give her the quilt.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

Quote Originally Posted by funcupl View Post
    Can you possibly rewash it and use the Color Catcher sheets? I always use these with anything that is valuable to me! I love them. So sorry, and good luck!
    Claudia
    I wish I had thought of them when I soaked it in the tub! I did throw one in the washer, but it was too late, it was stained already. Thanks, though, for your suggestion. I'm just hoping I learned something, and that someone else won't make that same mistake!

I recently washed a quilt that my mother and I had made and the red fabric bled onto the white and we were devastated! I googled and it said to mix equal parts of ammonia, liquid dish soap and water and spray on stains and scrub with a brush, let soak for about 15 min and then wash with some Borax. We did that and it all came out beautifully!!! We were so very happy!!!! Learned a big lesson, always prewash reds!!

what a pretty quilt.I am sorry you had such problems with it
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyJ View Post
    I recently washed a quilt that my mother and I had made and the red fabric bled onto the white and we were devastated! I googled and it said to mix equal parts of ammonia, liquid dish soap and water and spray on stains and scrub with a brush, let soak for about 15 min and then wash with some Borax. We did that and it all came out beautifully!!! We were so very happy!!!! Learned a big lesson, always prewash reds!!
    I'm going to go after some ammonia and borax, then I'll let you what happens!

Blog Entries
    what a shame

That is a seriously gorgeous quilt. My fingers are crossed for you!

Blog Entries
    Oxiclean works for me on apparel. I haven't had to use on a quilt yet. I'm sorry this happened to you. It's bad enough when it's your own, but someone else's is not a good situation.

Blog Entries
    Try soaking it is Calgon water. I used it years ago when I ruined my baby's diapers with clorox in hard water. It turned them so rusty, they looked like you had cleaned rusty iron pipes with them. I soaked them over night in cold water with Calgon in it and they came out white as snow. I used Calgon for years since then. It is a water softener but removes stains also. Good luck.

sassy granny

Bless your heart. I doubt she ever dreamt of the problems you are going through. You are a trouper and I would trust you to work on my work. So many people would have just thrown up their hands after the first problem.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Very pretty quilt and I hope one of the suggestions works to remove the bleeding.
    Heather

Power Poster
    No good deed goes unrewarded.

Sorry about the bleeding problem. I do hope something works for you. It is more upsetting when it's someone else's.

Blog Entries
    nice.......

Oh Darlin' - I'm so sorry to hear your sad story. Your heart is in the right place to even attempt this - and then all the time and trouble and scrubbing and washing and heart ache. I'm praying for a miracle - or miracle cleaner - to solve it. Do let us know if you find success. Then we'll all write down the "recipe" for when our turns arrive. Good luck!

Just an update on the quilt......I got some ammonia and borax, and tried DaisyJ's suggestion, but I guess it was too set in by this time. Anyway, the woman wasn't overly upset about the bleeding, and she even said it just gives the quilt "character". She is one of the sweetest ladies I have met in a long time. She wasn't upset about the front bleeds or anything. I even told her I'd rip out the quilting and replace the area on the back where it bled, but she wouldn't have it, so I told her I'd charge her less money for the quilting, and she was grateful for that. But I can't wait to hear what her teenaged DD has to say about it!

Power Poster
    So sorry that you are having so much trouble with this pretty quilt. I would try a color catcher, they really do work, can speak from experience. The quilt does look great otherwise.

Yes dyes were not as good in those days. It is a treasure and now a treasure that can be used and enjoyed.
    DEB CAVAN

So sorry to hear of the bleeding. I always suppect dark colors and reds. Just remember to always use color catchers.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Looks to me like you saved a quilt!!!! Great job. I'm in N.Al to. Near Hamilton. Are you close to me? Hugs,Linda C

Quote Originally Posted by hodgesquilter View Post
    Looks to me like you saved a quilt!!!! Great job. I'm in N.Al to. Near Hamilton. Are you close to me? Hugs,Linda C
    Hi Linda, Not too close, I think we're about 80 miles east of you.....we live in Hartselle, about 40 miles south of the AL/TN state line, and I-65 is just a mile from us. So if you follow I-65 past Hartselle, you're within 1 mile of my house!
    Last edited by DebbieJJ; 08-28-2012 at 02:40 PM.

You did a wonderful job and speaking for myself, something I would never try even for myself. I just am in awe of what you did! Wouldn't it have done the same thing when she washed it? It was worth the original price and more if you asked me. You did a great job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast