Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG! I never intended to design it like this!

Quote Originally Posted by SueDor
    Worse come to worse, you could make placemats with them
    That's an idea!! I think I like the idea of treating them like a Dresden Plate, on black, appliqued on. What an oddity!! We'll all come up with the perfect answer!!

:-D

Lands sakes, I think it is gorgeous. I wouldn't known if you had not pointed it out. Love ya heart, you are too hard on yourself.

Blessings in disguise!

Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tapioca
    Could you put them together like rectangles instead of '7'agons?

ETA: Oops......didn't pick up that they are already sewn. Sorry :oops:
    You were right!! They aren't all sewed together, just individually they are. The blocks are all just laying out relaxing and waiting to see what I'll do with them. hahah. I don't think they will fit together, 2 will, maybe 3 will, but 4 won't go. Yikes.

:D
    I was thinking of alternating them pointy end to flat end (does that make any sense?)

Quote Originally Posted by zyxquilts
    You could always put it together however it will go, then turn under the raw edges 1/4" & machine applique it onto a background - maybe a black one... ? :D
    It is very cool looking!
    I was thinking the same thing :)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspete
    Lands sakes, I think it is gorgeous. I wouldn't known if you had not pointed it out. Love ya heart, you are too hard on yourself.

Blessings in disguise!

Ruth
    Yes, I am too hard on myself! Thank you so much, mrspete! Love your encouragement!! I think it might have a chance at becoming something -- just not sure what right now. I'll be sure and let you guys see the final result!!

:-D :wink: :wink: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by MiniCC
    Quote Originally Posted by zyxquilts
    You could always put it together however it will go, then turn under the raw edges 1/4" & machine applique it onto a background - maybe a black one... ? :D
    It is very cool looking!
    I was thinking the same thing :)
    Yes, I think I'll go with this idea! Love the black background idea too!

Could you put them together like rectangles instead of '7'agons?

ETA: Oops......didn't pick up that they are already sewn. Sorry :oops:
    You were right!! They aren't all sewed together, just individually they are. The blocks are all just laying out relaxing and waiting to see what I'll do with them. hahah. I don't think they will fit together, 2 will, maybe 3 will, but 4 won't go. Yikes.

I was thinking of alternating them pointy end to flat end (does that make any sense?)
    I'm still trying to figure that out! You mean flipflop them?? I have 3 circular units so far and I just laid them together so you could see the possibility of them adjoining one another. But because of their odd number, it won't work for 4 units together. there's a gap of a few inches that would need a plug! lol.

:-D

[quote=n2scraplvr You mean flipflop them??

:-D[/quote]

yes, I thought if you flip-flopped them, they might make
    rectangles that would fit together and form a cool light/dark pattern

[quote=Lady Tapioca]
    Quote Originally Posted by n2scraplvr You mean flipflop them??

:-D[/quote

yes, I thought if you flip-flopped them, they might make
    rectangles that would fit together and form a cool light/dark pattern
    I just tried it with 2 of them and it becomes a parallelogram! That just gave me a great idea! It now looks like a block from the 20's called String Star that's made of all scraps. The only difference between the SS and mine is the scraps run vertically instead of horizontally. So if I put 6 of these stars together in a spiral, it will look fantastic! Alot better than an odd-shaped K block that doesn't fit together too well. Another thing is that it's hard to get the center points together adequately with 7 wedges. So now I'm leaning to your idea. The shape now resembles a kite so it would pass well for a String Star quilt. haha. I think. haha. :-D :-D

Yes, I really did design a 7-SIDED KALEIDOSCOPE BLOCK!!! I remember that day in Dec. when I did lots of circles, angles, patterns and when I laid it out, I couldn't get the 8th wedge in!!! Oh no....that means either two darks or two lights come together in the block. I continued anyway. I tore pages out of a phone book, drew my patterns, strip pieced the wedge, laid the pattern on top, cut it out adding 1/4" around, and voila....7 sides instead of 8! Must've grabbed the wrong pattern!! haha. What do we do now????? What was I thinking???? I now have an odd quilt. I just laid the blocks out all sewn together except the bottom left is just laid out for now. We'll make the best of it!! We can turn it around!! I hope. Thanks for looking at my K block gone bad! :oops: :oops: :roll:
    If you add strips of white, black, or red to "square up" each block you would get a really neat septagon - star - diamond as in this diagram.

Septagon
    Name:  Attachment-113444.jpe
Views: 44
Size:  43.2 KB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast