Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Should I do it? >

Should I do it?

Should I do it?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 AM

My stash is currently stored in tubs. It makes it really hard to figure out what I have and what looks good together. I need to make some changes.

Here is an option: I am a collector of salt & pepper shakers. I have most of them in a hutch in my kitchen. I'm considering packing my salt & pepper shakers up and using the space for fabric. Should I do it? Or just live in tubs?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154750.jpe   attachment-154751.jpe   attachment-154752.jpe  
Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Retire the S & P for awhile :)
Tubs are a pain!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:07 AM

Do it. Your fabric will look great displayed. Maybe a shelf can be added somewhere for S & P shakers.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:07 AM

how about one of those shelving units with the very thin drawers or shelves? you could put it where your tubs are and then see your fabric easier and still have the salt and pepper shakers out. Or you could pack most salt and pepper shakers away, highlight a select few on top of the hutch and put the material in the hutch. Try that for a couple of months, and you change change which salt and pepper shakers are out every so often. See how you like that. It's not a permanent change.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:09 AM

It's always nice to make small changes. Pack the S&P's away and try the hutch. If you find you really like it you could look into buying a shelving unit for the fabric and then put the S&P's back in the hutch.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 AM

How about sorting by color and type...flannel, solids, novelty, etc. Take a photo or 2 and put it on the front of the bin with a label. Just a thought???
Old 03-11-2011, 07:16 AM

just had to say i love your windows with the smaller panes and wood trim, and your hutch looks exactly like one my mommy has....i love your s&p collection...maybe finding a small shelving unit? who am i kidding?? go for a big one!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 AM

I thought about a shelving unit in place of the tubs and kitchen chair. Problem with that is if I need to unfold my sewing table, the shelves are in the way. Right now, if I need it, I just slide the tubs out.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 AM

Your hutch will not hold all of it--especially as time goes on. I'd suggest getting smaller tubs and sort according to color. The tubs will stack up and you can see what you have. I'd leave the shakers in the hutch so they aren't collecting dust on an open shelf.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
My stash is currently stored in tubs. It makes it really hard to figure out what I have and what looks good together. I need to make some changes.

Here is an option: I am a collector of salt & pepper shakers. I have most of them in a hutch in my kitchen. I'm considering packing my salt & pepper shakers up and using the space for fabric. Should I do it? Or just live in tubs?
I think its a ok idea but not in the kitchen the fabric will absorb the smells from cooking. 8-)