Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I do it?

Blog Entries
    My stash is currently stored in tubs. It makes it really hard to figure out what I have and what looks good together. I need to make some changes.

Here is an option: I am a collector of salt & pepper shakers. I have most of them in a hutch in my kitchen. I'm considering packing my salt & pepper shakers up and using the space for fabric. Should I do it? Or just live in tubs?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Retire the S & P for awhile :)
    Tubs are a pain!

Do it. Your fabric will look great displayed. Maybe a shelf can be added somewhere for S & P shakers.

how about one of those shelving units with the very thin drawers or shelves? you could put it where your tubs are and then see your fabric easier and still have the salt and pepper shakers out. Or you could pack most salt and pepper shakers away, highlight a select few on top of the hutch and put the material in the hutch. Try that for a couple of months, and you change change which salt and pepper shakers are out every so often. See how you like that. It's not a permanent change.

It's always nice to make small changes. Pack the S&P's away and try the hutch. If you find you really like it you could look into buying a shelving unit for the fabric and then put the S&P's back in the hutch.

How about sorting by color and type...flannel, solids, novelty, etc. Take a photo or 2 and put it on the front of the bin with a label. Just a thought???

just had to say i love your windows with the smaller panes and wood trim, and your hutch looks exactly like one my mommy has....i love your s&p collection...maybe finding a small shelving unit? who am i kidding?? go for a big one!!!

Blog Entries
    I thought about a shelving unit in place of the tubs and kitchen chair. Problem with that is if I need to unfold my sewing table, the shelves are in the way. Right now, if I need it, I just slide the tubs out.

Your hutch will not hold all of it--especially as time goes on. I'd suggest getting smaller tubs and sort according to color. The tubs will stack up and you can see what you have. I'd leave the shakers in the hutch so they aren't collecting dust on an open shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    My stash is currently stored in tubs. It makes it really hard to figure out what I have and what looks good together. I need to make some changes.

Here is an option: I am a collector of salt & pepper shakers. I have most of them in a hutch in my kitchen. I'm considering packing my salt & pepper shakers up and using the space for fabric. Should I do it? Or just live in tubs?
    I think its a ok idea but not in the kitchen the fabric will absorb the smells from cooking. 8-)

Blog Entries
    Could you leave the sewing table up all the time with a shelving unit under it?
    You could also try putting your smaller cuts of fabric in the hutch with a little re-arrangement and the larger cuts still in the bins (or on a shelf unit).

Blog Entries
    I would probably just reorganize the tubs by color or type of fabric, and take advantage of the ones that are translucent by folding the fabrics so you can see some part of each one from the outside.

Also, as a fellow salt and pepper shaker collector, I wanted to show you this cutie.

I love S&P Shakers
    Name:  Attachment-119127.jpe
Views: 38
Size:  58.1 KB

Blog Entries
    You have a lovely hutch, but it does not have a lot of shelves, so I don't think it will really solve your problem. Do you have an Ikea in your area, they have a shelf unit there with lots of dividers that is perfect for fabric. Maybe you should look around before deciding.

i would put my fabric out i love looking at it

Definitely ditch the tubs! I'm sure you love your s&p shakers but fabric is pretty to look at too. I also was frustrated with the tubs. I bought (2) 5-shelf bookcases from walmart $25 each. Then measured each piece of fabric and wrapped it around a 6"Wide ruler. It took a long time but ssssooooo worth it! IMHO lol. Good luck :P :-P

Do it, do it, do it.....get those pretty fabrics out and use them to decorate!
    I used to collect S&P shakers as well. Decided to part with most of them many moons before quilting became my life....had to keep some of the rare antiques ones though!

I started with tubs... it was a pain, and often purchased fabric that I had on hand or had that could have been used. My only exception is Christmas fabric, since its used seasonally.
    My vote .. to what ever you can to get the fabric out of tubs. You will love the convienience and have new inspiration.

Blog Entries
    It's so much easier to find your fabric when you can SEE it!! All my fabric is stored on open shelves and I can see what I have without digging. I love it!!

Target sells really cheap (if money is an issue) bookshelves in a variety of sizes. The ones that you assemble are the cheapest. But they have tall skinny ones. Short fat ones. All sorts of sizes. I bet you could find one that would fit somewhere told hold your fabric. I wouldn't get rid of the salt and pepper shakers. Unless you were done with them and wanted to get rid of them. No sense packing them up.

ditch the S&Ps and display your fabric. The colors in the fabrics are a LOT more fun than the colors in the S&Ps!!!!

Blog Entries
    Which would bring you the most happiness? Seeing your fabric or seeing your S and P shaker collection?

You have a china hutch just like mine! Funny too is that I have the same plant around it. If you think you would like your fasbric to be on display for you, I sure would give it a try. I like to see what I have easily also.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian

I use tubs but dont like them . I prefer to see my fabric on shelves.

Time for a change.... I packed up lots of things and don't regret it. Soon I'll be packing up some others things and they will be out the door. I think you'll like looking at your fabrics..

I would.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast