Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Sneak peek - "Intergalactic" by Dan Morris for Robert Kaufman >

Sneak peek - "Intergalactic" by Dan Morris for Robert Kaufman

Sneak peek - "Intergalactic" by Dan Morris for Robert Kaufman

Old 08-22-2009, 04:22 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Although I have no one at the moment I could use this material for I really like it all. I have seen several differnt lines out there when I was looking for the celestial fabric for sons girlfriend. And I like this one the best of what I have seen.

Thanks for posting!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 05:32 AM

I especially like the fabrics with the smaller stars - I enjoy using something like that for interesting quilt pieces. And thank you for sharing these with us - it's really great that a quilt store owner would look for opinions from quilters!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:06 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
so where exactly is your quilt shop?

do you only carry novelty prints because thats all you seem to post here?

are these types of prints big sellers in your area?
Our shop is in Orchard Park, which is a suburb of Buffalo, NY. Near the shores of Lake Dreary (oops - meant Lake Erie), where cloudy skies are the norm most of the year. Hence my enthusiasm for stars. Between the city lights and the clouds, a good night for stargazing is a rare thing indeed.

We are open to walk-in customers - they're actually the highlight of our day - but the vast majority of our business is done online, which explains the emphasis on novelty prints. When you sell online, regardless of what it is that you sell, you have to be "findable" when a person types a few words into the search box. So... that works well for novelty fabrics. You can type in "potato fabric" or "breast cancer awareness fabric" and we'll show up. Anything that is hard to describe - like batiks, or collections of florals, we generally would not do well with. Similarly, wonderful subtle prints that would be exquisite when seen in person, but which don't have enough contrast to show well in a little picture on a computer screen, we also have to pass on. I find it somewhat frustrating. But the novelty prints can be so much "fun" that I figure, we'll just enjoy the fact that the fabrics that do well for us are also the ones that tend to make us smile.

I don't know when I'm going to have something that you like, Klue! I'll keep trying, though...
Old 08-22-2009, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cathy M
Do these glow in the dark? I love glow in the dark fabrics :):)
These don't glow in the dark, as far as I know, though I belive that they have metallic accents.

If you're looking for cool glow-in-the-dark celestials, check out the Avlyn Space Rangers line. Some, but not all, of that group have glow-in-the-dark ink. It doesn't glow unless it's been exposed to a light source, though, to charge it up.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by craftydeb
Wow! I wish my local stores would sell material like that!
The web's a big place, too... and it's useful for finding things that you can't find nearby. Though it is always the right thing to do, to support your local businesses (and you should always look there first), they can't always carry everything.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 AM
Banned

thats very interesting because there are online store that sell nothing but batiks and they do very well.

i think its how and where you adverstise.

whats your advertising budget and where do you take out ads since you don't really market to people who live and shop near you.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:08 AM

I love these fabrics. Thanks for sharing. :-)
Old 08-22-2009, 09:13 PM

I am the proud owner of some of the Avyln fabrics. I have a grandson who is a space nut and he is getting a wallhanging for his bedroom His dad is building his new bedroom in their basement so I have some time hahahaa. It is fun to sew with glow in the dark fabric as it always surprises people. Makes them wonder if they are seeing things.... Take care, CathyM
Old 08-23-2009, 01:23 PM

I love all of these fabrics. I especially like the constellation one and think it would be a great backing. I think my grandson would like a quilt out of these.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

What an awesome celestrial group :D :D :D