Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
When do you abandon a project? >

When do you abandon a project?

When do you abandon a project?

Old 07-05-2010, 06:05 AM

I got a gift card from my MIL for my birthday last month. I finally went to Joanns on Saturday and was totally drawn to 2 certain fabrics.

I came home excited wanting to maybe make something that I could give her. This would be my first gift. I wanted to use both fabrics together and spent most of Saturday trying to figure out how to do that.

I finally decided on a pattern and loved it since I would be able to strip piece it and it would go together quickly.

As you can see below, these fabrics don't really seem to work together. For as much time as I have spent on this board you would think I would have noticed the scale would not work. Not to mention, the color is so spicific I had a hard time trying to find another fabric to go with it. Everything was too blue - or two yellow. . .

My issue is this set of 4 blocks went together better than any other block I have made. Maybe becuase I actually washed the fabric first instead of skipping that step, or maybe I really am getting better at measuring and cutting (finally!). So now I am dissapointed that I almost know this will not work.

The block in the picture was not even trimmed. I can't belive how well it turned out. Well, except for the fabric I used! :)

Close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82335[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82329.jpe   attachment-82330.jpe  
Old 07-05-2010, 06:10 AM

Wow, look at those seams perfectly lined up!

I'm with you and love those fabrics. True, there's not much contrast but with the growth of a full quilt you could be in for a nice, subtle pattern rather than something that jumps off the bed at you. If you want more, maybe some applique will give the eye more focus.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:13 AM

I like it. I think low-contrast quilts are beautiful. They are more subtle and make you work a little harder to appreciate the pattern. I don't make them often but love it when someone else does and plan to make one soon. I say continue on! :wink:
Old 07-05-2010, 06:21 AM

yep, goferit, if you don't like it well enought to give her, keep it for yourself, after all, the giftcard was a gift for you wasn't it? It is low contrast but it's not horrible, and you do have two different scale prints and the colors do not contrast. we'll be watching for progress reports
Old 07-05-2010, 06:26 AM

I actually like it. I too think that when you get more blocks together a very subtle pattern will appear. And as suggested, you could add some extra eye interest with a few well place appliques or even sashing. Keep going and don't forget the pics!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:26 AM

I think it's pretty. Not everything has to scream at you ;-)
Old 07-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on the block going together well! That feels so good when that happens. :lol:

The two fabrics go together well - and yes, they do end up being a low contrast - but as others have said, that can be a good thing.

I think the secondary design will stand out more when you get more blocks made.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 AM

I don't think it is terrible either. I agree with b.zang. You could applique a few butterflies here and there on it in say a dark blue or dark yellow or any color you like. That would really add some interest and fusible applique is so quick and easy. Just iron on and blanket stitch or zig zag around edges.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:32 AM

Up close it looks very busy, but from a distance it works quite nicely. Good job on your piecing! It looks great!
And I really like your fabrics too!

If you have enough fabric to do so, the lighter fabric with the larger print could become the focal fabric, perhaps using it in a large square (4 small squares wide) with strips (one square x 2 squares in size) to create the same design, but less cut up and thus possibly more pleasing.
This should not be much (if at all) more difficult than the way you did this one. And the corners could be done in a similar fashion.

But if you decide you like it the way it is, by all means go for it!

If you want more specific cutting directions for what I mean, PM me and I will gladly explain further.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:57 AM

they've written whole books on the technique you used (even accidentally!) - they're called blended quilts and are designed to have low contrast, complementary fabrics like you have. Wonderful job!!!