Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Will the Real 15 clone please stand up >

Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Old 07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
are all clones created equally? i want one of the colorful ones such as the turquoise morse. i'm keeping my eye open for the right opportunity.
I would say there is at least equal opportunity for them to work well. Some have larger 'harp' or 'throat' area than others. Some are in better condition for their age than others. I've seen some turn easier than others.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 PM

My SM repair man has a pretty blue 15 clone, but he wants $75 for it. Too much, IMO.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
My SM repair man has a pretty blue 15 clone, but he wants $75 for it. Too much, IMO.
If he has it all serviced, it is just about the same cost of a service call in Indianapolis.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM

If I wanted it, it wouldn't be too much, but I'm satisfied with my pretty black MW and my gorgeous black Admiral. Whoops, the Admiral isn't a 15 clone because the tension is on the front. I have the bright turquoise and white Universal for color.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
OK, looking at Muv's video, I see the tension spring wire on the 15 is going out toward the front of the machine, not toward the back. If you look at the mechanism from the face of the machine, the wire goes to the right, not to the left like a poster put a pic of earlier.
You noticed exactly what I did! To resolve the tension problem on my Morse, word by word direction following with constant referring to pics was required. Miriam also posted a pic that helped tremendously. The machine wound up needing bobbin case and upper tension finessing!

This thread has helped me learn a ton. My Morse 300 B-L is SO quiet and consistent. Without the help of everyone here, I would have written it off as a lesson learned. <3
Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

This manual is really helpful: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ They did a really good job writing this one. I love it I live by it when I've got something on the bench. Go through it word by word, step by step and you can fix a tension. I had a couple 15 machines that I had to rebuild the tensions. It was tricky getting them fussed out but with the help of that manual I did it. One needed a new spring the other needed the old spring free of oil and gunk. I do not know why anybody would ever use 3 in 1 oil...
Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 AM

Yes indeed! I had a friend read the upper tension section while I looked at or manipulated parts then he checked it over while I read. It took two! The bobbin test was an eye-opener.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
Yes indeed! I had a friend read the upper tension section while I looked at or manipulated parts then he checked it over while I read. It took two! The bobbin test was an eye-opener.
It is good to have help. My sister comes up from AZ a couple times a year - I save up machines to work on for when she comes - it's how we do it.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:51 AM

Here is my Morse 300 B-L circa June 1958. That is the date stamped into the motor badge. As far as I can tell the B-L is the addition of the gauge to show stitch length. It came with a Morse Attachments box full of Greist attachments, some of which use a strange adapter to attach, and a gorgeous buttonholer with all the cams.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]352963[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]352964[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails morse300b-l.jpg   morse300-b-l-close.jpg  
Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 PM

I just started piecing with my Morse 300 B-L and words cannot express my amazement. At first, I thought, "There is something wrong! The needle isn't threaded. The bobbin thread has broken. This is too smooth!" Then I realized, the machine was doing exactly what it was designed to to- Sew smoothly and cleanly with a minimal amount of extra effort or movement.

Sewing with my Morse is like stitching through butter...