Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the REAL 15 clone please stand up

Blog Entries
    They ARE heavy you need a folk lift to pick it up
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Power Poster
    Adorable machines
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late".

Benjamin Franklin

I know there's been a couple posts on the Mercury but I thought I'd share my machine as well (if I can remember how to post pics).

I bought her in 2008 at a local thrift shop. The shop had once been an upholstery shop and this machine was one that had been used at that time. It was just sitting up in their attic along with a huge machine used for upholstering also. I bought it for $20.

I did a little research and found out that it is a model R3L and the serial # is TA131404 and manufactured in Utsunomiya, Japan beginning in 1956.

I have cleaned and oiled her inside and out and she runs beautifully. The only thing I'm having a problem with is the bobbin stitch is either "smooth" or loopy. I can't seem to get the tension quite right.

Last edited by retired2pa; 03-16-2015 at 01:32 PM.
    Colleen

Blog Entries
    I find it best to take the tension apart and clean it with alcohol - everything including the pin. If you need info to rebuild it look at the TFSR manual:
    http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
    scroll to the tension mechanism and down load - read well before you start

I got my first one last week. Shop goodwill shipped well
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just finished a machine today that I would like to share. I got this machine not knowing if I could make it look good again, but I am happy with how it came out. I was afraid that it had a lot of surface rust. I was wrong. It was just some grime. I think it came out great.

Front now that it is done.
    Name:  IMG_8662.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  860.4 KB

Front before and after.
    Name:  front before and after.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  1.76 MB

Back before and after.
    Name:  back before and after.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  1.14 MB

~Grant~

Beautiful Wizard Grant! It reminds me of an old Ford Thunderbird. I always think of cars when I see these machines. I bet it sees as nice as it looks too.

Grant -

Check out post #515 of this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by wesing View Post
    Grant -

Check out post #515 of this thread!
    Wesing, That was another machine just like this one that I did too. It was my post.
    ~Grant~

Power Poster
    Love these. Wish I had saved my old one.
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late".

Benjamin Franklin

Yes I remembered thinking Thunderbird on that post too. I thought it was an older post, but went back and found it and thought it was funny that you had worked on both of these "twins." Do you still have the other one? You should take a few pics of them together if you do.

Blog Entries
    I worked on an Edison clone yesterday. It was VERY dirty and didn't spin freely. The Edison decal was coming off so I scraped it slightly and got all of it off the used buffing compound and she looks Amish. Once I got it cleaned up enough that it felt ok to touch, I took apart the tension and put in a new spring since the old one was sprung way out of shape. The bobbin area was easy to clean as usual for a clone. Then I took the spring off the bobbin case - I'm so glad I did - just a little bit of nasty dried on oil. The machine needed considerable amounts of oil before it turned very well. When it finally did turn is spins VERY freely. I haven't test sewn yet - it still needs a working motor. Typical clone.

I have a dressmaker Deluxe zigzag made in japan modelswa 2000. I want to know if a walking foot will fit it and what kind because I might try to quilt with it thank you you all are so good to answer questions.

back in th 1960s I bought a Sunflower sewing machine for the cabinet I threw away the machine and I used the cabinet and still do have it the drawers have sunflowers carved in them and the iron legs have sunflowers in them I wish I would have saved the machine but to soon old. Have anyone ever seen a sunflower machine I liked the drawers for the S carving as my name begins with S. I remember the machine as having lots of gold decals on it.

Thanks everyone for sharing your machines with me
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

Blog Entries
    Grant, it's getting to the point where I can identify your work before I read a word. It's like my husband and his handgun trigger jobs. Twenty guns, pull through the triggers and I can separate his out in a heartbeat. You have no idea what a compliment this is. He is nationally renowned for his trigger jobs.

So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for making these sweet machines not only function but look beautiful as well.
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
    Grant, it's getting to the point where I can identify your work before I read a word. It's like my husband and his handgun trigger jobs. Twenty guns, pull through the triggers and I can separate his out in a heartbeat. You have no idea what a compliment this is. He is nationally renowned for his trigger jobs.

So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for making these sweet machines not only function but look beautiful as well.
    I am honestly humbled by your post Anette.
    I try to do my very best on every machine I work on. I respect them in ways that I bet you husband does the guns he works on. Thank you for your kind words. I love what I do and I hope it shows. I think you implied that it does. I hope you have seen my page. I try to help as many people as I can because I got a lot of help her on the QB. I have been trying to pay it forward ever since from this site.
    Best regards,
    ~Grant~

Blog Entries
    here is my orphan..........its a boat anchor as far as sewing.......but its a pretty color...........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Blog Entries
    I have revived worse that that. It would run just fine if it had some TLC. Some times it takes a couple hours. They usually need to have the tension cleaned and rebuilt. The bobbin case will need to be cleaned under the spring. Then it will need your normal dust bunny cleaning and some oiling. Those aren't usually very hard to remove the shuttle and clean all the lint out - about a 5 minute or less job. Some times I see a clone that will not turn. I love making them turn. Usually it takes awhile with some tri-flow. You need to oil every single part that remotely moves rotate the wheel as much as you can get it to turn as you oil. If it doesn't turn at all rotate the machine let it set for a while then oil it again. What is cool about making one turn is that they might start to turn a little but once the oil gets where the bad spot is you know it and the machine will suddenly turn and run like crazy.

I just wanted to share this from my page. I see Judy, 4dogs slideplate and it reminded me that I had not shared this here.
    ~Grant~

Name:  slideplate.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  72.1 KB

Singer 15 and Clone Slideplate Installation made easy and no damaged paint.
    1. Put two small screwdrivers under the retaining spring.
    2. Put the slideplate into the slot it goes into and move it until it stops. Push the screwdrivers in until the spring can go over the end of the bed. You can also pry them up a little, but be careful not to bend or break the spring.
    3. When the spring is over the end, remove the screwdrivers and slide it closed.
    4. No paint chips from twisting it into position. Simple, Fast, Easy.

lue
    I'm curious whether all of you still use these machines. Does anyone make anything that lasts like this nowadays? My Bernina is an oldie but still sews like a dream. I assume their new ones work as well.

lue
    Selena, did the machine look like that when your son rescued her? It's BEAUTIFUL!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lue View Post
    I'm curious whether all of you still use these machines. Does anyone make anything that lasts like this nowadays? My Bernina is an oldie but still sews like a dream. I assume their new ones work as well.
    I sure do. They sew through anything. Some people like them for free motion. You do have to work out the quirks.

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous machines!! I have a couple but they are in storage. Love the ones I've seen so far!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Blog Entries
    I posted info about how to do stuff with the tensions on the clones...........
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t269712.html

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 ... LastLast