Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24

Thread: Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Blog Entries
    She sure is pretty all nice and cleaned up.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Yes, beautiful machine with great stance! Thanks for pics.
    Stop whining and find time to quilt!
    My sewing machines are three Singer 201-2, Singer 15-91, Singer 66-16. Singer 66 Redeye treadle, Sewmor Deluxe Japanese 201 clone, Viscount hand cranked, Brother PRW420, Brother serger, Brother LX-3010. Hunting for a Singer 27 to complete the collection.

Good afternoon! I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any information on this sewing machine. It's my Mom's that she has had since the early 1970s. I am cleaning it up and doing maintenance on it for her. It's been in a closet for several years as she thought it wasn't working anymore.

I believe it to be a Japanese 15 Clone. The main tag on it says Kingston by Brother, a smaller tag on the side says Made in Taiwan, and the motor is made in Japan. Name:  IMG_0839.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  1.03 MBName:  IMG_0851.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  1.25 MBName:  brother4.gif
Views: 65
Size:  338.4 KB

Blog Entries
    That Kingston by Brother could easily become your favorite clone. Love that case. Read this whole thread and you will find lots of info including manuals to help you restore that machine. The clones were made in Taiwan and now in China. Parts may or may not interchange. My guess is the basic throw away parts are going to fit as does the manual. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask. A lot of times they need a good cleaning and oiling and a few adjustments. It is likely your mother could have had it serviced and it would run like it is new.
    Last edited by miriam; 10-17-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

If it is made in Taiwan, then, to me, it is not a Japanese machine. Further, I believe the reference to Singer 15 clones has been broadened too much. A Singer 15 clone looks very similar to a Singer 15 yet may have reverse and feed dog dropdown features. Often, a generic manual, may be referred to as an HA-1 manual.

Having problems typing on this site, so will leave it as that, for now.
    Maria
    Smoky Mountains of Tennessee

Blog Entries
    Farmhousesewer,

My Singer 15 has reverse and feed dog drop as it's made like in the late 40's or early 50s so that distinction may be moot.

However, I do agree if it says Made in Taiwan then it's not a Japanese made clone!
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
    If it is made in Taiwan, then, to me, it is not a Japanese machine. Further, I believe the reference to Singer 15 clones has been broadened too much. A Singer 15 clone looks very similar to a Singer 15 yet may have reverse and feed dog dropdown features. Often, a generic manual, may be referred to as an HA-1 manual.

Having problems typing on this site, so will leave it as that, for now.
    True, it is not a Japanese clone. It does have a side tensioner and it has a 15 bobbin and the mentioned manual should work. The body of the machine is not the Singer 15. What ever works.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Love old sewing machines.

Great thread.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24