Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   "Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thanks-vs-thank-you-you-welcome-vs-no-problem-t269057.html)

bearisgray 08-22-2015 03:42 AM

"Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem"

"Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem"

The above is definitely not on any Top Ten List of Critical Matters - but

I prefer "Thank you for the _______" to "Thanks for the _______"

and "You are welcome" to "No problem."

Anyone else have opinions on this?

(Assuming, of course, that people remember to acknowledge a gift, favor, or extra effort! I prefer ANY acknowledgement to none!)

kathy 08-22-2015 04:04 AM

I agree, it's like "love ya" verses "I love you" I do not like shorthand speaking or writing. say it plainly and meaningfully and spell it out, there should be no miscommunication!

mermaid 08-22-2015 04:33 AM

I think some of that can be blamed on phone 'texting'. People get so accustomed to making messages brief within the limits, that it is passing over to everyday life. I very rarely send a text message, and then only to my son...so thankfully! it has not rubbed off on me. I see sooo many words abbreviated to the extent you can hardly recognize the words. The other reason is just pure laziness in "speak". Donchathink? lol

nativetexan 08-22-2015 07:21 AM

Most definitely, but for some reason,be it t.v., internet, texting, what ever. People are changing the face of the English language. Soon we wont' recognize it!! I just try to close my ears!

tapper 08-22-2015 10:19 AM

Language is changing all the time. It's the nature of the beast.
I don't mind the shorthand as long as I know what it means.
Thank you, thanks or thx...as long as I know what was meant, I'm fine with it.

carrieg 08-22-2015 12:42 PM

'No problem' is the one that bugs me a little. We teach our toddlers to say 'you're welcome', but then we don't say it.

Stitchnripper 08-22-2015 12:49 PM

I don't mind most things, but no problem seems not the right response to thank you. New words are added to the dictionary all the time, so I guess times change and language changes. We surely don't speak like folks did in the 1800s!!

Manalto 08-22-2015 12:52 PM

"Thank you" for the first occurrence in a message, then "thanks" is permissible within the same message.

The problem with "No problem" is that in current usage it has lost its specific meaning: when you really do want to convey the sentiment that your effort wasn't a problem for you (Jamaicans get a pass); similar to "what's up?" which used to mean "you wanted my attention?" - it's now (drearily) used for "hello."

Do Brits still think "You're welcome" is strange?

BETTY62 08-22-2015 05:29 PM

I would say in this day and age "thanks" and "no problem" is better than nothing at all.

Sandra in Minnesota 08-22-2015 06:22 PM

Thanks or Thank You is better than nothing!