Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 04-30-2015, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by eeraemore View Post
I was quite active on this board a few years ago -- after some family things have gotten in the way, I'm trying to get back into it. Trying to be inspired! I love PP -- here's my question: I have looked at this book online and read the reviews. Some of the reviews say that the book does NOT come with the patterns and that a totally separate CD of patterns needs to be purchase to actually do the blocks. Is this true? Can you make the stars from the book without purchasing another CD? (I know the CD that comes with the book is an instructional video.) Thanks...
You don't have to purchase a separate CD for the patterns. They come in the book. Resizing just isn't as easy without the CD. The CD that comes with the book is how to PP.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:43 AM

I watched the CD that came with the book, and it is ONLY about method. I was hoping it had the patterns and I could print them out instead of copying them - but it did not.

I cut the binding off my book (used my rotary cutter and just kept making passes until I was all the way through). Then I paper punched the pages and put them in a binder. That made it much easier to make copies as the page laid flat on the copier screen.

The book has a page that shows the ratios to use to reduce, so you don't have to calculate it. Though I went to 25% so I could do a 3" block. One problem I have with reducing - the lines are also much narrower and get rather hard to see because of that. I'm dong it on my copier/printer at home and it's rather old. I took them to work and no matter what I tried, I could not get our copier to feed the lighter weight paper.

the first couple I did were a bit of a struggle, and once I felt comfortable, I tried the smaller ones. After doing them small, the 12" ones seem very easy - and quite fun.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:09 AM

I believe somewhere very early in this thread there is info about how to buy the patterns on a CD, but I believe I attempted this and the CD was not available.

The CD in the book is like Macybaby said all method, which is nice, but it will leave you singing 'I am Woman' ! LOL you have to see it to understand.

The process is a lot of fun, and it is easy to pick up and put down, doesn't take a lot of space...results are oooh-ahhh every time
Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 AM

If you want the patterns in a download or on a CD, here is the link to where several of us got it: http://www.quiltpro.com/productPage/Found_Fac_50_Fab It is a stand alone program in that you don't need to have the "Quilt-Pro" program to use it. They often have 1/2 price sales on their products so if you aren't wanting to start right away, then you could sign up for their newsletter and wait for it to go on sale.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 AM

carriem - does that software included cutting directions for the pieces? Or is it just the papers? I know if you resize them, you need to refigure for cutting, but it was real nice having that provided for the 12" size. I knew nothing about paper pieces when I started and would have been lost without that. Now that I've done quite a few, I have no problems just getting the pattern and figuring out the pieces myself.

I might buy this anyway- because I want to mess around with smaller blocks, and then I shouldn't have the problems I'm getting reducing the print.

One more question - does it have "unlimited" sizing? Such as I can pick an oddball size (like 7", or 28.6%) or are the choices set? I'd want it specifically for 3" blocks, and I know the book

Last edited by Macybaby; 04-30-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:22 PM

Macybaby--you can choose any size before printing. I just looked in the book at the percentage page to figure the math on cutting the fabric pieces. If it was 25% less...1" would be cut at 3/4" (does that make sense?) I don't have my book in the house (my craft room is in my husband's shop), but can get a better example tomorrow if needed. I am making 10" blocks, so I printed at 5" (one "block" on the program is 1/4 of the finished block)...they do it this way so if you want to mix and match like some of the samples in the book you don't end up with extras.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:38 AM

Here is my most recent block - Kansas

Old 05-04-2015, 12:53 PM

That is really pretty - how big is that one? It looks like a different color scheme than the 12"-ers.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:18 AM

that one is a 12" block. It's probably the first one with that particular backing used, but others will have it.

The mini ones are all batiks. Its a lot easier to work with the small pieces using the thinner fabric. I decided I wanted to make a mini quilt using 16 3" blocks, so it will finish to 12" and then I'll put something on for the border. I started and got all the blocks printed and pieces cut, but after starting the first I don't like what I picked for the background. it's kind of a grey/black, and some of the small pieces look more grey and some more black, so it looks like two fabrics were used and does not have a uniform look. I'm going to pick up some dark black batik and use that instead.

When dealing with such small pieces, I'm finding they turn out quite different than expected because such a small portion of the batik variations gets shown.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Cathy, I agree with you 100% on the batiks! I would probably not even want to do the 12" with regular cotton - I tend to have to handle the fabric, exercise the seam ripper, etc. too much, and I am not Little Miss Delicate. I don't need to sing 'I am Woman' when I yank the paper back to line up the 1/4" ruler! LOL