Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 04-20-2015, 04:54 AM

Hi Cathy, looks like you are on to micro-blocks! Very pretty.
I finally finished Illinois
[ATTACH=CONFIG]517445[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1011-il-sml.jpg  
Old 04-20-2015, 06:01 AM

That is pretty - I so love the look of them with the batiks!

I'm going to make 4 at 3" and 6 at 4" so I can put them in three columns, 3 @4", 4@3" and 3@4", which will end up being 11" wide by 12" long- and make that into a small wallhanging by itself. I suppose that could qualify as a Microquilt. This time I was more careful to select blocks that will be easier to work with. It would be fun to take one of the simpler blocks, and then just make it with different color combinations. It's neat all the different looks you can get just by changing the colors.

I copied off another set of blocks, and this time I made sure to get all the higher piece count ones, and started on Michigan, which is one of two highest piece count blocks. It's turned out rather easy as they are very easy to line up. I've got the eight sections done, and then decided I'd better get some painting done too.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Wow I love this! I also love PP-ing.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2 View Post
Wow I love this! I also love PP-ing.
Picking the colors is great fun, and I like Carol Doak's PP method. Straightforward instructions, clear and consistent layiouts. (I took a Judy Neimier class once to learn how to do PP and decided I would never PP again, but I'm glad I gave Carol a try.)
Old 04-27-2015, 05:05 PM

Here is Michigan. I jumped ahead a bit - I wanted to try one of the highest count blocks (128). This one was rather easy too, because the pieces lined up nicely. So a lot of pieces, but little difficulty placing them.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:29 AM

Nice color choices! Love the blue, it really pops! It doesn't feel starry the way the others do, more like a cross.

I'm almost through picking colors for Illinois.

But quilting has gone on the back burner right now. Getting the front garden presentable, cleaning the attic in preparation for the 'drying out', this weekend my DD is coming for a visit with her fiance and we are going to be shopping for the wedding, plus I have only two months before her wedding left so I am frantically cramming in Barre and Pilates and cardio in the gym in my spare half-hours, and my son is coming this weekend to till the veggie garden so I will have to plant on Sunday. At least most of it is weight-bearing exercises!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:29 AM

Getting ready for a DD wedding would have me stressed out to the max!. My DD is 30 and DS is 33, and I've given up on thoughts of weddings or grandkids.

last night I was staying up for something I wanted to end on eBay, so I started on Kansas - which is a simpler block. I've got all the pieces cut and bagged, and most of the papers copied out and ready to go. Makes it real simple to work on one when I don't have a lot of time. Sometimes I just look at the bags of pieces and grab one that catches my eye.

I've been putting my garden back together - let to lay fallow last year, just too much going on, lost my Mom at the end of April, and MIL at the end of September. I have buried waterlines, so pulled everything out and manured and tilled it all, and now I have to put the lines back. The potatoes are in - but it's a bit early here for much else.

I'm finding these blocks to be a nice thing to do to relieve stress - since the "decision" part of colors is done. After getting this far, I don't really need to think much about "how" anymore, just line up, cut, line up, sew, iron - repeat.

I want to do one "block" of 3" blocks - so that will be 16 of them. I'm going to use the same basic block and change colors, widths and direction. For example on "direction" - with the Kansas block, for the 8 star points, four have the inner piece (piece #1) pointing out, and four have it pointing in. So it will be a "study" in different looks using the same basic design. And that one is simple enough with that size.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:45 AM

Cathy, my DD just getting married for the first time is 40! And younger is 32, no sign of a ring. Not like it used to be, huh?

I will put in little 4' rows of carrots, beets, lettuce and leeks, plus of course the long rows of peas and spinach and parsnips right away, probably potatoes too but nothing else until May 31. I have 6 4x16' raised beds, plus one big one made by combining two beds to 10'x16'. Then on the other side of the aisle I have a 45 foot bed of asparagus. And they are starting to poke up their cute little heads! Hurrah!

So anyway I like your idea of using the same star but with variations. Can't wait to see it!

It sounds like last year was very difficult for your family; please accept my sympathies. This year you will surely get some extra pleasure from the garden.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 PM

I was quite active on this board a few years ago -- after some family things have gotten in the way, I'm trying to get back into it. Trying to be inspired! I love PP -- here's my question: I have looked at this book online and read the reviews. Some of the reviews say that the book does NOT come with the patterns and that a totally separate CD of patterns needs to be purchase to actually do the blocks. Is this true? Can you make the stars from the book without purchasing another CD? (I know the CD that comes with the book is an instructional video.) Thanks...
Old 04-30-2015, 12:45 AM

I have only used the book and traced the patterns from it onto foundation paper and I have not bought the separate CD.
To be honest I haven't even looked at the CD that came with the book - perhaps I should. I have changed the finished star size to 9" and am pleased with how they have come out. I have posted pictures here on this thread.
If you like pp your blocks I do not think you will have a problem. One thing I did do was to have the book spiral bound - the pages then sit nice and flat.