Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 04-07-2015, 08:09 AM

Thanks Q65 - That batik fabric also came in a kind of caramel with yellow, cream with tan, from one LQS or another.

It is all batiks/hand dyes for this project. I am using up all my batik leftover fabic, plus jelly rolls, charm squares, bought-when-delusionals, it-looked-nice-on-lines, it-was-lonely-in-the-LQS-remnant-bins ..... I will NOT buy any fabric for this quilt until I get to the sashing and backing, no matter what! At least there will be some consistency in the colors of the blocks...
Old 04-07-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Suesew - I look at them and think "Ok Good - it's a simple one!" all those little pointy things look scary to me LOL!!

Though I've been getting interested in mini quilts and was looking at the guy that makes those teeny-tiny PP ones. So I think I'm going to experiment with these a bit - pick the simplest one, and see just how small I can go with it.
Sounds awesome - will you start with a 6"-er? If you can pull it off it would be cool to have some blocks 9" 6" and 3" interspersed with the big ones. Keep us posted!

Are you still sewing vestments or will you be back to the hearts and stars again soon?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:10 AM

I've got the white set done, I still have to fix the ribbon on the red set though.

The best part, I have quite a bit of scraps left - all batiks, cream, red, green and purple. Started out with 30 yards of each, and probably have at least a whole yard uncut of each, plus all left from cutting the pieces.

Was painting in the "machine shed" this weekend and next weekend DH and I are making a road trip to drop off and pick up some vintage machine stuff. We're heading across MO with a planned stop at Missouri Star Quilt Company.

I think I'll start with a 6" star, and see how that goes. I think I'll start with one 8th on a full sheet of paper, so that I can keep that one attached, and then remove the paper from the others, and sew then on to the one still on the paper. I run into the most problems sewing with two thicknesses of paper.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:21 PM

Cathy, those vestments are beautiful. I bet the boys will be proud to march into church in them. The ribbon detailing is really nice - did you sew the ribbons along the edges or what?
You must have been sewing for days to get them all done - YOU SEWED UP TWENTY-NINE YARDS??? I guess the batik leftovers is how doing a good deed reaps interest to the giver.
I agree with you about the paper problem - I think it is because they slip under the foot and feed dogs instead of sitting nicely the way fabric does, with natural friction. At one point of desperation I tried taping the pieces toghether but it made a mess.

Godd luck on your road trip!
Old 04-07-2015, 03:16 PM

There are three rows of ribbon, and it's satin stitched on each edge, though the edges that touch I could do with one row of stitching catching both.

Gave my old girl a workout - she has a very nice satin stitch because the bobbin case moved back and forth with the needle. I bought this machine because it's the same model my Mom had when I was growing up. - and it's SOOO neat looking!

The kids are Native American, so the shirt is modeled after the Ribbon Shirts, and the batiks worked quite well.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:21 PM

Here it is Delaware Junior

here it is with the 12" version

Old 04-09-2015, 05:25 AM

One more quilt to bind and one to make for a cancer fighting friend, and then back to the stars, I hope. Your work is so pretty and eye candy for sure.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:42 AM

Cathy that little Delaware is a cutie. Was it hard? It looks smaller than 6"! How small is it? Are you going to do more small ones?

I love that you are using a machine like your mother's. I have my mother's old things (and grandmother's and aunt's) because I was the only child, and I use and treasure them. Brings back good memories of them.

Did a lot of old machines have bobbins that moved with the needle? I just inherited an old Singer 99 and I think the bobbin is fixed. (Until I get the motor replaced, though, it isn't moving at all LOL)
Old 04-10-2015, 06:37 AM

The 99 is a straight stitch machine, singer did make a few zz like th a t, but only a few. They will have and end mount bobbin like the 15.

The little block is 4". It wasn't that hard, though I messed up and did not cut the light blue large enough. I want to try one that is 2" square finished. I used batiks for it. I find them the easiest to work with for t h e tiny peices. I did it the same way I did the roses, sewing and then trimming seams.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:48 AM

Cathy are you using 1/8" seams? I have done only one block ever with 1/8" seams (on purpose! LOL) - it was a 3" PP block with odd-shaped pieces coming together, and a lot harder than putting the 6" squares together for the stars! But you are giving me the inspiration to try
[ATTACH=CONFIG]516462[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mini paper piecing2.pdf (53.2 KB, 96 views)