Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 03-18-2015, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Dotty, Sorry to hear about you being sick, and very glad to hear you are on the mend!

It's easy to get caught up with all the fun projects going on, and run out of time to do them all. I so want to jump into the "row by row" being done, and may join in a bit later - but I'm barely keeping up with this and I'm behind with the AOTH applique blocks.
Dotty, I am sorry to hear you have been ill. Hope you are feeling better. We missed you!

I agree with Cathy it is too easy to get involved in too many projects and then not be able to keep up. But this is fun, not work, and we all can put off whatever doesn't fit or can't fit and no guilt trips!

Cathy, I peeked on some of that fancy AOTH challenge and your work is beautiful. That should be called Affairs of a Lifetime - not just of the heart! Wow! It is pretty spectacular. Makes our stars a little ho-hum
Old 03-18-2015, 02:03 PM

SueSew - that is why I'm not using any batiks on the stars - because that is what I'm using on the other blocks. I love the stars made with batiks though. I plan on using both sets to make wall hangings to display in my "Machine Shed" (were my sewing machine collection is going) so I didn't want to use similar fabric on both.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:40 AM

Cathy, "Machine Shed?" Maybe you should call it a "Museum of Vintage Sewing Machines" - if you got together with someone who is into collecting vintage quilts and garments and linens, you could have quite an exhibit!

If I weren't using batiks and I had to worry about right side down, I would still be back in Connecticut.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:53 AM

here is my Hawaii

Old 03-23-2015, 05:27 AM

Hurrah for Hawaii - I like the colors you chose for the teal/green! I got mine cut and labeled, but I switched back to the Washington Medallion now my house is cleaned up and a bit settled; a lot of the snow is melted and we are no longer leaking so I can lay out big pieces of fabric and arrange long rows. Attaching 320 little setting triangles right now ... nice to be back to regular piecing again!

In Hawaii I'm doing purple/lilac/aqua/blue-green, navy for the background triangles, and a very pale aqua instead of white. Still working through my batik pile!
Old 03-28-2015, 01:49 PM

Here are a few more stars. Got Idaho done, this is the first one I really had trouble with the center. I ended up opening the center up, and lining it all up before I sewed it back together.

and picked out a few more for fun

Vermont

Virginia

And all of them done so far - I wanted to show them all together so you can see how the colors are working out.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:43 PM

Cathy, you have a great eye for color. Your stars are beautiful.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:47 PM

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Waii
[ATTACH=CONFIG]515079[/ATTACH]

AAARRRGH!
This start was such a battle for some reason. Points were goig fine until I tried to sew theAa to B, and discovered that the outer triangles 8 9 and 10 were lined off a bit askew.
I got the 8 9 10 pieces done, trimmed back and tried to line up and somehow lost track of where I was lining up LOL. Next time I will MARK THE PIECES with arrows and registration marks.
Happy quilting!
Attached Thumbnails img_0981.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 02:48 PM

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Waii
[ATTACH=CONFIG]515079[/ATTACH]

AAARRRGH!
This start was such a battle for some reason. Points were goig fine until I tried to sew theAa to B, and discovered that the outer triangles 8 9 and 10 were lined off a bit askew.
I got the 8 9 10 pieces done, trimmed back and tried to line up and somehow lost track of where I was lining up LOL. Next time I will MARK THE PIECES with arrows and registration marks. Fortunately I only ded from the cetner to one end, not the whole join.
Happy quilting!
Old 03-28-2015, 02:51 PM

I have not done that with these ones yet - but I sure have done that a time or two!

I also machine baste the places that match up and get them good before I sew the whole seam. Sometimes I've taken out and rebasted three times before I'm happy.