Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 03-09-2015, 06:34 PM

here is mine for last week - florida

Old 03-16-2015, 05:36 AM

Hi Cathy, I like the blue prints you chose for Florida and the way you placed then - they really stand out. I finally got back to the stars now my kitchen is at least cleaned up, still waiting for more snow melt before they will repair the ice dam damage.

I must have been thinking WARM UP! because of the colors I picked for this one!

I wish I were getting better at joining the star quarters. It is still trial and error, but I finger (nail!)-pressed every single seam perfectly open, which seemed to help the joinery.

And for some reason I had the worst time ever trying to place the fabric pieces for this state; good thing I cut 1/8" to 1/4" larger pieces than she calls for! usually I can line up parallel or 90 degrees to something and it works fine. Should I pre-cut the seam allowances for each piece BEFORE I add the new piece?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]513822[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0965.jpg  
Old 03-16-2015, 11:09 AM

I do like the directions - fold over, cut then attach the next piece and line up with the "seam allowance" cut just prior.

It seems to work well with this type of paper piecing. When I do the roses, I do not cut, but fold on the seam line and just line it up, then sew - and then I cut both pieces for a seam allowance. Usually more around 3/16th than 1/4 since that has much smaller pieces overall. And I use the scissors with that one too.

I really like how that star turned out - looks like torches on fire. I may have to recut some of mine, I don't think I considered using a red on the tips for any of them.

I didn't do my block for last week yet, hopefully I can squeeze it in tonight. I spent the weekend with long arm classes on Saturday, and sewing up cat blocks yesterday - got all 80 of them done though - not sure how I'm going to put them together yet though.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:51 PM

Here is my Georgia - I really like this star.

And I did not recut the pieces, I pulled out the bag and was surprised to see I'd picked a red color for the points to start with.

I got excited to see it finished, so I started sewing. Got to the forth piece of paper and realized I had no more. Took me a while to figure it out - I had started sewing before I cut the paper apart!

Old 03-17-2015, 11:18 AM

Cathy that came out good - your blues look like the split feathered things they are in the book. And using the darker blue for the 6" pieces.

Good point, I should pre-cut each seam allowance. I didn't bother before but I will now. Directions are a good thing if you read them!
Is there an advantage to scissors over rotary cutter?

Next week, Hawaii! Star #11.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:48 PM

I prefer using the ruler and cutter on these blocks because the pieces are large enough that I need a good, straight edge to line the next piece up with, and I am folding and trimming before sewing, so it's not held in place if you pick it up to cut with scissors. On the rose, I was sewing and then cutting, and that was faster with scissors.

Two quite different methods to doing it.

I am looking forward to the Hawaii star - it looks neat
Old 03-18-2015, 11:11 AM

Cathy, I had never thought about scissors for quilting except my super-duper ones for applique, or the big ones for whacking bits and pieces for applique or PP rough-cuts. Meanwhile I am religiously using by big yellow add-a-quarter at every seam, AFTER I line up the pieces. Oh what a dunce!

At this rate I will zip through Hawaii! Can't wait for the weekend!
Old 03-18-2015, 11:13 AM

Hey folks, is anybody else still doing this? Carrie? Dotty? Are we having fun yet or is it the latest UFO?

***Free*** leftover cutoff triangles from Bonnie Hunter Grand Illusion and Moda Vin Du Jour to the first person not already sending in photos who persons-up on this Challenge!!! Show me a completed star photo, PM me your address and I will stuff the envelope.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Hey folks, is anybody else still doing this? Carrie? Dotty? Are we having fun yet or is it the latest UFO?

***Free*** leftover cutoff triangles from Bonnie Hunter Grand Illusion and Moda Vin Du Jour to the first person not already sending in photos who persons-up on this Challenge!!! Show me a completed star photo, PM me your address and I will stuff the envelope.

Hi SueSew,
Yes I am still here and want to do some more stars. My last one was #89 - New Mexico. Have been unwell - with hospital admission and some tests - but all fine now - thank goodness.
I am also following two Blocks of the Week and that keeps me busy LOL !!!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 PM

Dotty, Sorry to hear about you being sick, and very glad to hear you are on the mend!

It's easy to get caught up with all the fun projects going on, and run out of time to do them all. I so want to jump into the "row by row" being done, and may join in a bit later - but I'm barely keeping up with this and I'm behind with the AOTH applique blocks.