Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 02-28-2015, 08:05 AM

Here is my next star - Pennsylvania. I am really pleased how these little blocks are turning out.
Hope you have a nice weekend.
Attached Thumbnails pennsylvania-post.jpg  
Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 AM

Thanks ladies for the encouragement - it is not easy working though all my leftover batiks. Now I've got Delaware and Florida done, I'll be taking a break until the repairs to the kitchen from the flooding from broken pipes and the ice dams is resolved. I guess while we were gone on vacation a promised oil delivery did not occur...and we came home to a major mess. Plaster walls and ceilings will be coming down and everything will have to moved out of the kitchen for the wood floor to be replaced.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 AM

Dotty, I really like your fabric choices - Are you doing these full size or half? You refer to them as 'little'. I am considering trying a half-size but haven't worked up the nerve.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Hello SueSew,
Thank you very much for your kind comment.
My "Stars" are 9" and I am making them in conjunction with my local quilt groups challenge for this year. The measurements are nine stars x 9" inch blocks and then made into a wall hanging. I shall make 12 stars - to make a better ( I feel) shape and size.
I am so sorry to read about the damage to your house and I hope the repairs are soon sorted out.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 AM

SueSew - sorry to hear about the problems - I've never had to deal with cleaning up after something broke/failed, but I've sure dealt with working around construction - DH and I spent about 10 years going room by room gutting and fixing up our current (1885) home. We started by setting up a temporary kitchen in the living room and then doing everything else - and 8 years later we finally got back to the kitchen - the last room we did. I did almost no sewing during that whole time - and it's sure nice to have gotten back to it the last few years.

Here are this week's stars

Delaware

Washington - I figured I'd try getting two a week done -one in order and one I pick. I got them all cut last weekend, and this one had the most fussy cutting, so I wanted to see how it would look. Have to say - not as nice as I hoped, and not nice enough to justify all the extra work LOL! It's not too hard when the fussy cut peice is the first one placed.

It's very neat seeing the different looks using different fabric. I'm using no batiks in this - right now they are all "reserved" for the Affairs of the Heart blocks.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Thanks ladies for the encouragement - it is not easy working though all my leftover batiks. Now I've got Delaware and Florida done, I'll be taking a break until the repairs to the kitchen from the flooding from broken pipes and the ice dams is resolved. I guess while we were gone on vacation a promised oil delivery did not occur...and we came home to a major mess. Plaster walls and ceilings will be coming down and everything will have to moved out of the kitchen for the wood floor to be replaced.
Hugs! We had three ceilings come down effectively destroying a kitchen, dining room, and living room. We were blessed with good insurance.

I certainly hope the oil company is going to pay to repair your mess.

Your stars are beautiful! Batiks are my favorite.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:35 AM

HouseDragon, thanks for sympathy and compliments! We do have good insurance, and they will undoubtedly question the oil company actions. Your disaster sounds worse, what with furniture and rugs trashed; we are more like room-by-room hits, but to dry out the walls they have to rip them out at least partially. So we will have messes here and there, but most furniture survived intact. A couple rugs and curtains maybe if I can't wash out the brown stains. Right now Serve-Pro can't figure out what to do because the house is still leaking through half a dozen windows. Due to all the snow in Boston area they are backed up with workload and are bringing in Serve-Pro contractors from the south and west where they aren't so busy.

Cathy, we have an old house too - horsehair plaster and wide pine boards, still with original paint, in the 1803 half. It's a job and a half - have been there nearly 18 years and kitchen still a work in process. Why does the kitchen come last??? LOL it came last in our first house where we lived for two years, in our second house where we lived 13 years, and we have been 17 years in this house where I am still waiting for the island and the soapstone counters and the drawers and the upper cabinets.... I am sorry you didn't get much sewing done but I can understand why - dust and dirt tends to migrate even when you plastic-tarp it off and it is a pain to have to keep packing and moving.

I like the flame-y bit on your Delaware - when that is in the finished quilt with those color contrasts it will really pop. The Washington fussy-cuts look good to me - forming the interior square. I think the fussy cutting gives the piece more movement.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:42 PM

Yes, Carrie, I do. Life has gotten in the way lately and I will return mid-to-late March, hopefully.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:33 AM

Hi everyone - I have just completed my next star - New Mexico -- it seems VERY quiet here - are you all busy sewing your next star ?
I am taking part in a challenge at my LQG and we are to make 9 x 9 inch blocks and then to make it into a wall hanging or whatever you want to do.
I am going to make mine slightly bigger by making 12 blocks and adding a border with some applique attached. I now only have to make one more star and then put it all together.
Look forward to seeing some more lovely stars !
Attached Thumbnails new-mexico-post.jpg  
Old 03-09-2015, 11:30 AM

Very pretty DottyD! I have the book but need to get busy. It seems there is always something else in the way!