Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 01-28-2015, 06:35 AM

wow, love these stars! JanRN your colors in your avatar are beautiful.
I thought when I started this that I would kill my stash of leftover batiks from other projects, and get better at paper piecing.

Now I realize I know zip about how to choose colors for a quilt block. This is my Arizona and I am unthrilled even through I thought the jelly roll patterns were so pretty. Well, three down 47 to go.[ATTACH=CONFIG]507939[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails arizona.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 07:12 AM

SueSew, that's a very pretty block.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
wow, love these stars! JanRN your colors in your avatar are beautiful.
I thought when I started this that I would kill my stash of leftover batiks from other projects, and get better at paper piecing.

Now I realize I know zip about how to choose colors for a quilt block. This is my Arizona and I am unthrilled even through I thought the jelly roll patterns were so pretty. Well, three down 47 to go.[ATTACH=CONFIG]507939[/ATTACH]
I like that it almost looks ombre.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:26 AM

Thank you for being kind. That was the first start I managed to line up the center points. Maybe I'm getting the hang of it?
I am doing Arkansas in all shades of blue from ice to dark royal blue, and California I'm going wild with bright yellow and green and orange and aqua/blue! Maybe a little purple.
Trolling my batiks is harder than I thought because I keep finding bits of great colors which aren't quite the right size so I am doing a lot of scheming of how to cut and try to reposition the bits to fit.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:04 PM

This is my "Arizona"

I was trying to line up the pattern at the tips of the center pieces, and didn't even "see" what was going on (or not LOL!) at the center until I was pressing it after it was all sewn together.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:11 PM

You ladies are doing a great job. I like both of your blocks! Keep it up!! Carpet goes in my new room next Wednesday, then moving in and after that I will be back to a star week.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
This is my "Arizona"

I was trying to line up the pattern at the tips of the center pieces, and didn't even "see" what was going on (or not LOL!) at the center until I was pressing it after it was all sewn together.

Cathy, Wow that star center is really pretty. Those swirls are so perfect - just like in a kaleidoscope. Did you follow the cutting instructions and do a 2"x4" or whatever the rectangle was, or did you fussy cut an oversized shape and then figure out how to flip it?
Old 01-31-2015, 11:25 AM

SueSew - I laid out four layers of fabric to match up the patterns (like for One Block Wonder) then cut two identical blocks. 8 layers can be hard to keep lined up. In truth, I did that for another block and had enough left over all ready matched up that I used some for this block without a whole lot of planning on what I'd end up with - I selected this block based on the suitableness of the layout.

I like to try new ideas, sometimes they work, sometimes I don't. I'm putting together Arkansas right now, and my block looks very different than the book - but it is the same basic block.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:49 PM

Arkansas

Even though I changed it quite a bit, I did use the same papers so I'm going to count it for that one. I didn't like the one in the book anyway.

I had it all cut out and ready to sew, and while I was cutting the paper, the small layout kept catching my eye- as a spiral pattern. So I colored it in and decided I liked it that way.

I did have to recut some pieces, and eliminate a few where the color stayed the same. I was thinking it might be neat to do it in 8 rainbow shades going around too - though that would not fit in with the color scheme I'm trying to stay with for my blocks.

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-31-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:42 PM

That is awesome!!!!!!