Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 01-19-2015, 04:11 PM

For Macybaby....Cathy....Hobby Lobby has the Carol Doak newsprint paper in their sewing notion section. It is a similar weight to what Judy Niemeyer uses in her paper piecing patterns. I have used it and it tears away easily and I had no problems sewing through several layers of it, yet it is strong enough not to just rip easily.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:57 PM

thanks Barb, I'll keep that in mind, though the nearest Hobby Lobby is about 70 miles away. I live rural, but usually get that way once a month.

Just remembered - I'm making a trip into the Twin Cities with my husband in a week (estate stuff he needs to do) so I can hit one when I'm there. Shopping is the only thing I miss about living in the Twin Cities (Minnesota) - sure don't miss the traffic.

I'm hoping to snag a few more sewing machines while I'm there too, makes the trip more fun!
Old 01-19-2015, 05:14 PM

SueSew...good blend of fabrics. Are you planning to do the same backing fabric throughout? I don't know if anyone did them all 6". One lady did I think 3 sizes and used them all in one quilt. Some did 8" or 10" also....
Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 PM

Macybaby - Here is a link to Dick Blick 8 1/2 x 11 Newsprint - a ream is only $3.56. I ordered 2 reams because the shipping charge was the same for 1 or 2. It runs through the printer easily and tears off great. This is what I use for PP.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/bl...ose-newsprint/
Old 01-20-2015, 06:13 AM

Tried running the tracing paper through the copier at work - didn't work for me. But we do have a paper cutter here so I can cut it down to the right size to fit through the machine at home.

This will give me an excuse to check out some craft/art supply stores while in the Twin Cities. I have ordered from Dick Blick before, they have all kinds of neat stuff!

I think I'd like to try making smaller blocks too.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
SueSew...good blend of fabrics. Are you planning to do the same backing fabric throughout? I don't know if anyone did them all 6". One lady did I think 3 sizes and used them all in one quilt. Some did 8" or 10" also....
Carriem I got your advice about planning the fabrics vs. going scrappy, and I couldn't wait to figure it out so I am going scrappy. All batiks - that way I won't get my usual 3-D dylexia and sew half of the pieces on inside out. I guess I will have to sash up the blocks when done. Maybe avoid black backgrounds and do a black batik sashing?
I am thinking that I will switch to the Carol Doak paper instead of the copy paper, which is a bit thicker and hard to work with when sewing the quadrants.
Macybaby, I found that the Carlo Doak paper I bought won't go through my main copy machine at work. this machine never ever jams and it jammed on every piece, even in the side tray. I had to scan the original at 600dpi and print it on my little desktop laser that I use only for printing the checks.
Despite what Carol says I find it hard to see through the back of the paper to position the fabric. I tried putting it on the clear plastic extension table of my machine, and putting a flashlight under it but that was very iffy. Maybe I can buy one of those cheesy press-on lights at the hardware store. hmmm

I am going to try a simple star at 6" ...gulp! definiely not Alaska!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:23 AM

I've got Alaska ready to start sewing. I printed off copies using the tracing paper. It may be to lightweight, but if so I'll be looking for something else on Tuesday. Lots of craft shops to check out there so I should be able to find something.

I've decided to cut all my blocks ahead of time. I have four coordinating fabrics I'm using for the background, so I started deciding which blocks I'd use them for and getting that cut.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 AM

I have just found the new link to the 2015 thread and this is my first star of the New Year -- Montana Star.
Hope to see lots of beautiful stars !!!
Attached Thumbnails montana-post.jpg  
Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 AM

Dotty I love your colors! and the dots really pop! Have you posted your 2014 work somewhere?
Old 01-23-2015, 07:21 AM

Hi SueSew,

Thank you very much !
Yes I posted several stars on the 2014 thread and I hope this link to it will work OK.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...35683-new.html

Kind regards from the UK.