Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015 Monthly  Color and Design Challenge >

2015 Monthly Color and Design Challenge

2015 Monthly Color and Design Challenge

Old 04-20-2015, 04:08 PM

Thanks. The fabric line is in honor of the Columbian Exposition/Chicago World's Fair in 1893--the center print is reproductions of tickets, gate admissions, postcards, etc. from the event.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:06 AM

It's been kind of quiet in here. How are you doing with the April Challenge?

Mine is basted, ready to get quilted this weekend. I kept this one small. It's ending up sort of cottage or shabby chic style.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:44 PM

I like the challenges in the book but need some "umph" to get me over this quilting funk I'm in. There's a lot going on in real life that's taking a lot of energy. I need to get some WIPs done.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:07 AM

Default April challenge

My April challenge is done.

I struggled to motivate myself to get going on this one. The color palette was outside my normal. I usually work with more saturated color, so I kept it small.

I didn't have a plan. After I got started I decided to try different things on it. The center flower is stitch and flip. I remember seeing this in a quilt magazine. I drew the geese and PP them. The curvy quilting lines on the blue were supposed to turn into curved crosshatching. I drew lines one way, stitched them and stared at it for a day. Couldn't figure out how/where to add the 2nd set of lines to make the crosshatch without it taking over the piece.

The space where the runner will live, didn't allow putting geese on the ends, so it's not symmetrical. I was running out of fabric, so the binding is single fold. So it is what it is and it's finished! I'm ready for the May challenge.
Attached Thumbnails april-challenge-finished-1.jpg  
Old 04-30-2015, 08:23 PM

I love your eccentric geese! Not sure how soon I'll get to May--end of semester craziness right now--I'll have to see how much of me is left when it's done!
Old 05-01-2015, 06:07 AM

Default May Challenge

It's time for the new challenge. The May challenge is a fun one!

For those new to the challenge we are using the book- Quilt challenge "what if" ideas for color and design by Sharyn Craig and Pamela Mostek. We are doing a challenge each month and posting them on this thread.

The May challenge is #5 in the book, on pages 34-39. Your projects can be any size (mug rug to king size). This month there are two rules.

1. Use the required block somewhere in your project. (You may vary the proportions and size as desired).
2. Follow the rule for color. We are limited to 3 colors. Two colors are set. You choose one color.

Shop your stash. Visit a quilt shop. Look for inspiration in unexpected places. Let's get those creative ideas churning. Have fun!

*** The book has 8 challenges. Would you like to take one of the summer months off to use as a "catch up" month?

Please PM me with any questions.

Playswithcolor
Old 05-03-2015, 09:44 AM

Your April project is lovely, Playswithcolor! The geese, curving and swooping, are graceful.....and the way you snuck in the Mary's triangle blocks to frame the project is inventive and effective.

I hope to work on the next challenge this month, but could use a month or two off to catch up on the challenges I have missed. Working within the limitations invoked by the book is, indeed, 'challenging' for me.

Dianne in Colorado
Old 05-18-2015, 02:19 PM

It's been quiet in the color/design challenge thread. May has kept me too busy to begin this months project.
So, I will need June as a "catch up month".

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's B,W and ? quilts. Have fun!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:21 PM

Thanks for this challenge. I'm having a hard time keeping up, but I am enjoying it!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Thanks. The fabric line is in honor of the Columbian Exposition/Chicago World's Fair in 1893--the center print is reproductions of tickets, gate admissions, postcards, etc. from the event.
Here is my red/cream Churn Dash challenge quilt.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t265439.html