2017 Temperature Quilt

Old 01-17-2017, 12:32 PM

i'm currently looking at weather.com with my zip code for yesterday's temps. What resource are you using?
Old 01-17-2017, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Neuras View Post
i'm currently looking at weather.com with my zip code for yesterday's temps. What resource are you using?
I am using accuweather.com - type in your location in the search, go to Extended weather, and there is a link to click historical data near the bottom of the page.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by lmanna View Post
I'm tracking mine in Excel although it has not been necessary yet. So far I have been working on mine every day but I don't expect that will continue for the entire year. I will admit it does feel good to get into the sewing room for 10-15 minutes every day for just a tiny bit of "me" time. My DH has been interested in the process. It is supposed to hit 50 tomorrow and this morning he was asking me if that meant a new color in my quilt. It does !
tho i'm not doing this, i am avidly following the fun. for those of you who might, as the year progresses, forget to note the temp for a day or two, go to NOAA ...it's united states weather site or "National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration" website. on upper left a place to put your town & state for your local forcast. after you get to the forecast page for your vicinity, there are links on right side of page ..click on "3 day history" it will let you know the temp each hour of each of three consecutive days. have fun ..and i am sooooo looking forward to seeing the beautiful quilts from this indeavor. those that have done a 2016 temp quilt, please please post pics of your quilt as soon as you finish them!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1#.WH6DEss76hC
Old 01-17-2017, 01:25 PM

I'm using something called "Past weather in Richmond, Va" it's on a web page labelled "timeanddate.com". I found it using Google search. It's a little bit of a pain to use so I may switch over to NOAA as suggested by Rogue quilter.

For keeping track--I set up a notebook. Since I went ahead and pulled all the fabrics I will be using from my stash, I set up the first page as a key, with a description of the colors and all the fabrics that I am using for each temperature range. Then I noted a general description of the quilt (HSTs) and a chart of the general layout.

The 2nd page is for January- I've noted the high and low for each day and what color I'm using.

Will try to get time to post pics tomorrow.

Rob
Old 01-17-2017, 05:54 PM

All caught up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565978[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails tempquiltthrujan17.jpg  
Old 01-17-2017, 06:04 PM

At first I was looking up the previous day's weather each morning and noting it on a calendar. Then I discovered that on weather.com there is a "Monthly" bar that when clicked on shows all previous readings for that month so far. So you could wait till the end of the week or month to jot them down. ;-)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:07 PM

Here's how I'm keeping up with the temps and weather ... just a simple chart in a notebook. I look on Weather Underground, and write down the forecast 2 or 3 days in advance, then adjust it to the actual temps for each day if the forecast turns out to be off a smidge. The check marks indicate that I've made both blocks for that day (I'm making 2 quilts).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565979[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails weatherchart.jpg  
Old 01-17-2017, 09:04 PM

I'm just looking at my own thermometer on the back of the house. If I will not be home during the warmest part, I delegate to my husband who I think is making it up. We are in the mountains where every area experiences slightly different weather. Will try to post tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:46 AM

That's going to be a beautiful scrappy quilt, Moonrise!
Old 01-18-2017, 11:54 AM

Here are pics of my notebook:
On the last pic, if there is a note in parenthesis beside the temp then that means that I have made the square for that temp. As you can see, I'm a couple days behind.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails img_0991.jpg   img_0992.jpg   img_0993.jpg