Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

dotcomdtcm 07-01-2013 04:54 AM

So... I am skipping the June challenge. Painting cloth is not my direction. I like Ricky's curved block but could not
find the pattern to print. Bring on July. We have the extravagant fireworks display here in NYC for the 4th. Hmm...

suziehammond 07-01-2013 07:42 AM

JULY CHALLENGE

And here I thought we would all be getting more done these summer months than b4. Funny how life can fool you.

Since July is all about recalling history and the special times required to bring about freedom let's explore that. All over the world people yearn for 'freedom' although many of us aren't really sure how we would define that nowadays. But we know some of what that is. Being able to make personal choices is integral.

So this month how could show some aspect of 'freedom' in cloth? Slapping paint splatters and quilt around them? Cutting and appliqueing in a haphazard fashion? Depicting the struggles of people thru the ages as they fought for freedom? How about your flag of choice? Making personal fabric and sewing choices that are definitely against the accepted norm? So many ways to show this.

And remember that incorporating this idea into other projects you have on the table counts too. A mug rug with your freedom idea is fine. A July table runner with a new experimental technique, or baby Q with freedom of oddball patterns is super.

As I got onto this theme I just thought of about 6 things I'd like to do, as usual. You might have that overly active imagination too. Just pick one and get started to stretch your creativity.

We don't have fireworks here in Chile in July of course, altho the US embassy used to put on a display-- now we have austerity instead. So I may have to madly slice, splatter and ohhh! haul out that box of glitzy stuff and some steam a seam......

I will be interested to see what inspirations happen to you all on this one.

Looking for any June project photos you are finishing up too.

nancia 07-01-2013 08:48 AM

'm so far behind i'll have to make a snapdragon flag on painted fabric with sparkles!
on a more serious note-- how do you use angelina? angelica? angela? you know. that fiberous stuff!

dotcomdtcm 07-01-2013 09:51 AM

There is a lot of info on using Angelina on the web.

dotcomdtcm 07-04-2013 05:13 AM

July Challenge

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm (Post 6154024)
There is a lot of info on using Angelina on the web.

Retirement has given me the freedom to make quilts!
Here is my July quilt: Celebrating with Lily".
Enjoy, wherever you are!

nancia 07-04-2013 09:35 PM

i just watched the nyc fireworks display. it pales compared to your ny quilt! love the statue of liberty neg/positive. she is open today for the first time since sandy. how appropriate!!

Tracy Delegal 07-06-2013 09:48 AM

Wow. That is beautiful! I am new to art quilting, but I dug right in! I have 4 pieces in the making and none will go with this theme, so I will keep visiting to see what you all come up with!

suziehammond 07-06-2013 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tracy Delegal (Post 6162690)
Wow. That is beautiful! I am new to art quilting, but I dug right in! I have 4 pieces in the making and none will go with this theme, so I will keep visiting to see what you all come up with!

Welcome and don't worry! Put your WIP up anyway. We'd love to see them and I am sure they will fit into the themes we've had up the last few months somewhere! LOL

suziehammond 07-06-2013 11:43 AM

Nov/Dec Challenge complete at last

2 Attachment(s)
OK this is a little embarrassing but better late than not at all, right? You recall Back in Nov/Dec?

November Challenge
We have all had points in our lives when something happened and we were much the worse off because of it......but then...you looked around and took advantage of opportunities presented and a bad situation resolved into something unexpected but much better.........

December Challenge
.... how about using some of your old tried out techniques in a new way to make your gifts more 'arty'?
-----------
We had a friend who stayed in our house while we had to go back to the US to fight with the property manager who didn't pay our US house insurance when our house burned down. We got almost nothing and he walked away with little pain as he threatened to just declare bankruptcy b4 we could get him to court and then we'd have nothing but more bills...But I still felt the friend who did such a lovely favor was due a nice winter quilt for looking after our doggie and house. So now it is cold and rainy and 30 degrees and I have finally finished up his reward.

It is scrappy but 'arty' I think and it was definitely born out of the dregs and leftovers of the house and fabrics and everything else we no longer have. So although started 6 months ago it did get done.

suziehammond 07-06-2013 11:48 AM

Looks great! Nice one Dotty and you were so speedy. I got one one as far as the wall. Hope to be on here in a few days.