Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 6-Flavor Pound Cake

Granted, this is not a "pretty" cake but in our family it's the most requested cake for birthdays & other special occasions. The entire house smells "yummy" whenever it's baking:

2 sticks margarine or butter
    cup shortening
    3 cups sugar
    5 eggs
    3 cups flour
    teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup milk
    1 teaspoon of the following extracts/flavorings: vanilla, almond, butter, lemon, rum, coconut

Preheat oven to 325 deg. Grease & flour Bundt pan. Cream together butter and shortening. Add sugar gradually, beating well. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add flavorings and mix. Add baking powder to flour and then add flour mixture and milk alternately, beating well. Bake at 325 deg. for 1-1/2 hours.

After removing from oven, let cool in pan while preparing the following glaze:

Combine 1 cup sugar, cup water, 1 teaspoon each of the flavorings used in the cake and a pinch of cream of tartar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.

Remove cake from pan and punch little holes over top and sides with a toothpick. While cake and glaze are still hot, spoon glaze over top and sides.

Yum!

I have been making this for YEARS after finding it in our local paper. They called it "Huggin' Cake" since the maker always got lots of hugs when she made it. I don't use the glaze, though the recipe did come with it. The one time I did, it was soggy. I have also "cheated" by taking a box of pound cake mix (hard to find here but worth it) and adding the 6 teaspoons of extract. And in case anybody's wondering, you don't taste any one extract flavor. Just a nice blend....that you can't quite identify!

Blog Entries
    I made this cake for years! As you say everyone loved it. I would like to make it again for a special occasion.

lue
    I make the 6 flavors pound cake and it's wonderful! I'm trying to find a recipe for a pineapple coconut (icing) cake that is SUPER moist. One of my church members makes one that is the best one I've ever eaten (even better than my grandmother's) but she won't share the recipe because she makes the cakes for sale ($50!!). It's so light that I wonder if there is sour cream in it. HELP!

Yummy