Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: apple pie filling?

Question apple pie filling?

I am looking for a recipe for apple pie filling that you can. Has anyone heard of it?

This one has instructions on how to can as well as the recipe. http://www.ourbestbites.com/2011/08/...g-or-freezing/
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Blog Entries
    I also found a very good one that came from cooks.com if you need the recipe pm me

If you have the Ball Blue Book I think there is one in there.

Apple Pie Filling- 10 cups water, 4 1/2 cups sugar, 1 T. cinnamon, 1 cup cornstarch, 1/4 t. nutmeg, 3 T. lemon juice. Cook above mixture until it starts to thicken. Remove from, heat. Core, peel and slice 7 quarts of apples and pack tightly in 7 clean, quart jars. Pour above mixture over apples and process in hot water bath 25 minutes. I've used this in apple crisp or apple pie. SO much better then store bought. This is NOT a typo, it does use 1 cup of cornstarch.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Quote Originally Posted by BalserMaryAnn View Post
    I am looking for a recipe for apple pie filling that you can. Has anyone heard of it?
    I used this recipe for my frozen blueberries and cherries--turned out great. The link has other pie fillings also but you MUST use Clear-Jel for canning. I get mine from a local Country Bulk store but is available online.
    http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch...iefillings.pdf

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    Thanks, I am going to try this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by time2quilt View Post
    Apple Pie Filling- 10 cups water, 4 1/2 cups sugar, 1 T. cinnamon, 1 cup cornstarch, 1/4 t. nutmeg, 3 T. lemon juice. Cook above mixture until it starts to thicken. Remove from, heat. Core, peel and slice 7 quarts of apples and pack tightly in 7 clean, quart jars. Pour above mixture over apples and process in hot water bath 25 minutes. I've used this in apple crisp or apple pie. SO much better then store bought. This is NOT a typo, it does use 1 cup of cornstarch.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Go to www.pickyourown.org Click on " how to can" on the left side of page Next screen scroll down to "pie filling" I have made their cherry and blueberry pie fillings and canned them in quarts for later use. We have used the filling on cheesecake and pancakes too. This site has lots of recipes for canning.

for Balser Mary Ann My Apple pie filling:
    4 1/2 cups sugar and 1 cup cornstarch
    2 tsp. Cinn or nutmeg or use McCormicks Apple pie Spice
    MIx the above in a large pot and add 10 cups water. Boil until thick and bubbly. Remove from Heat and add 2 tbsp.
    lemon juice. Fill jars with apples sliced. Leave 1 inch at the top. Cover apples with the sauce.
    Seal with your lids. Process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes. Makes 7 quarts.
    Takes about 5 to 6 lbs. apples to fill 7 jars.
    If I ever decide to make it again I think I will put the apples in the sauce and then the jars. They shrank and great deal
    after the process therefore not such a nice full pie. I have 4 pints left and think it will be used for apple crisp or put some
    baking powder biscuits on tip and bake.
    Good Luck from Flo In Northern NY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast