Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best meatloaf recipe ever!

I've got to share my best recipe. It has a lot of ingredients, but I think you'll have everything. 2 lbs. burger (I use 1 lb. hamburger and 1 lb. deer burger), 1 small onion, chopped, 1 green pepper, finely chopped, 1 chopped jalapeno (canned or fresh), 1/3 cup pickle relish, 1/2 cup salsa, 8-10 saltine crackers crushed, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 1 t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, 2 T. spicy mustard, 1 T. worcestershire. Mix all together and shape into loaf, then pat an indention along the top. Fill that indention with 1/2-1 cup catsup, then lay bacon strips over the top. Bake 1 1/2 hours at 350. This is very moist, leftovers freeze well.......or you can make into smaller loaves, bake less and freeze a loaf. Everyone who eats my meatloaf asks for the recipe. This came about by me opening the refrigerator and just adding this and that. Finally had to write it all down. Enjoy.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do.

here's mine
    1# or more hamburger meat
    Italian bread crumbs because I'm Italian
    tomato paste, small can
    1 or two eggs depending on how much meat
    two or three tablespoon of karo syrup (makes it juicy not sweet)
    salt and pepper to taste
    bake it at 350 about 1 to 1 1/2 hours my meat loaf never stays together due to it's so moist

I use the recipe that Dear Abby posted in her column years ago. I've siince lost the clipping but now do it from a feeble memory. It had ketchup, and onion soup mix. I also throw in onions, garlic, egg, and any spices that are handy. The trick is the soup mix.

I use 2 pounds of hamburger, 1 pound of sausage, onion, bell pepper, pkg. of crackers crushed, and 2 eggs. Shape into a loaf and cover with ketsup with brown sugar mixed into it. Always one of my familys favorites.

Thank you, QUILTE. I will experiment soon..... Right now, I've got a big pot of soup. Put a lot of just whatever I had in it with some ham hocks......smells so good!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
    Thank you, QUILTE. I will experiment soon..... Right now, I've got a big pot of soup. Put a lot of just whatever I had in it with some ham hocks......smells so good!!!!
    Believe me it works .... I never make meatloaf any other way now! ENJOY!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had meatloaf in a restaurant that was so good. It was very moist and it had a strip of bacon around the whole outside edge. Wish I knew how they made that. I usually cook mine 1/2 hour, drain the grease, add tomato sauce and mushrooms on top and cook another 1/2 hr. It's good but I'd like to try something new.

It has been awhile since I have made meatloaf. I guess it is time.
    Let God be your quilt and wrap you in His loving care.

Yum...will try it.
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Believe me it works .... I never make meatloaf any other way now! ENJOY!
    I've recently started hoisting my meat up also while in the oven, but haven't tried it yet with meatloaf! We love the grill marks that appear on the meat while the grease falls to the pan underneath. Great idea for the crockpot! Thank you! I'll be trying that next!

I'll share my recipe too! It's different from anything I've read here so far. We love Italian food so my version is little individual Italian meat loaves that are placed in a 9" pie plate and are oval shaped placed in the dish that resembles a wheel with one in the middle and spokes around it. The centers are sunken and a well is made for the top sauce that is sprinkled with Italian seasonings and then topped off with parsley. It's so pretty when placing it in the oven!!

I love the idea that they are small and handles easily and they are done quickly because of being small. Two loaves per plate!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast