Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Great Meatloaf recipe? >

Great Meatloaf recipe?

Great Meatloaf recipe?

Old 04-17-2018, 03:43 AM

Default Great Meatloaf recipe?

I love meatloaf and have a plethora of meatloaf recipes. But I have yet to make a meatloaf that is "company-worthy", lol. If anyone out there has a knock-your-socks-off meatloaf recipe that they are willing to share, I would be most grateful.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2018 at 04:04 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-17-2018, 04:14 AM

I love Paula Dean's, AKA Basic Meatloaf recipe. Just google it. I add lots of peppers, onions and canned tomatoes. It uses oatmeal instead of other fillers. I do put bacon on top but in my family there are bacon hogs. So instead of strips of bacon, I cut it into squares and shingle the bacon. If you double the recipe, there is no need to double the sauce on the top.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:34 AM

I’ve added beef bouillon dissolved in a bit of hot water or powdered onion soup to my regular recipe for added flavor, then I omit any salt. I generally make 2.5 pound meatloaf because It reheats good and DH loves cold meatloaf sandwiches.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:36 AM

I use Paula Deen’s basic recipe just as it is. Also made her cheeseburger meatloaf recipe. Both are delicious.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I love Paula Dean's, AKA Basic Meatloaf recipe. Just google it. I add lots of peppers, onions and canned tomatoes. It uses oatmeal instead of other fillers. I do put bacon on top but in my family there are bacon hogs. So instead of strips of bacon, I cut it into squares and shingle the bacon. If you double the recipe, there is no need to double the sauce on the top.
Thanks! Looks yummy ... I printed out the recipe and am anxious to try. Will admit that we prefer bread crumbs over an oatmeal filler, but this recipe might be the exception. Worth a try before I go tweeking it. I like a big loaf, so will double the recipe, but will stick with single recipe topping as you suggested. I also like the idea of adding a "shingled" bacon top ... much easier than having to slice through full strips of bacon. Thanks again. Nita
Old 04-17-2018, 02:55 PM

I, too, use a bit of oatmeal to help bind along with an egg. I also use a 'meatloaf mix' combo of pork/beef/veal that our market sells. Other than that I add chopped onion and minced garlic and whatever spices in the cabinet are handy and appealing at the time. Never comes out the same way twice but so far no complaints.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:28 PM

A while back I made a good one, but I used terriaki sauce, some leftover biscuits which I chopped up in a grinder. I've not been able to repeat it. There was 2 parts beef, one part pork. No tomatoes.

Marcia
Old 04-17-2018, 08:15 PM

My family loves the Best Ever Meatloaf from Allrecipes.com. It has grated carrots and grated cheese in it, which makes it different from other meatloaf recipes I've tried.

Daffy
Old 04-18-2018, 02:04 AM

I really like this one and haven't made any other recipe since I ran across it. It uses 2 1/2 lbs ground beef and makes a large meatloaf. The only change I make is to leave out the parsley when there is none in my garden.
It also makes great sandwiches.
Martha Stewart's mother's recipe.

https://www.marthastewart.com/109219...tyras-meatloaf
Old 04-18-2018, 03:44 AM

I have begun using Stovetop stuffing for the bread or cracker crumbs in my meatloaf along with eggs and a little bit of onion. Has a really good flavor. Use any type of stuffing mix but don't think I would recommend the cornbread stuffing.