Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Canning - Green Beans to start >

Canning - Green Beans to start

Canning - Green Beans to start

Old 05-29-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by FAYE View Post
I used to can green beans this way...put them in the jars-sealed -into the oven over night..set the oven timer - in the morning the cans had cooled down & ready to store . Never had a problem with spoilage
I don't think I've ever read anything that was more frightening! How do you spell BOTULISM ? There was a time when some people thought it was safe to can vegetables in a dishwasher. Even the Ball Blue Book has changed it's advice through the years.

Showmama's original post was about preserving the bounty of her father's garden and of her garden. Who could have known what tales that would unleash.

Last edited by elnan; 05-29-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:40 AM

I've never canned anything but I'm determined to learn how! Once my gran passed away my family lost that - nobody gardens or cans anything in my family anymore. I miss all the rows of jars of produce my gran kept in the garage, and her homemade jam!

My backyard is about to be remodeled and I'm having about half of the (small) yard turned into a veggie garden, with raised beds. I have had a (very small) garden before but this one will be about 3X the size of the last one - I think I can fit six 8'x3' beds back there. Some will end up in partial shade but most will have full sun so I think I can make it work.

I intend to grow heirlooms as much as possible as I want to learn how to save my seeds from one year to the next. I intend to can, pickle or freeze as much as possible - I don't want a single bit of it to go to waste!

It won't be finished until nearly August (it's part of a larger remodel project) so I won't have time to grow much of a crop this year, but I am SO excited about next spring! I've been reading up on freezing and canning produce...

Nothing beats home grown veggies!
Old 06-01-2016, 01:28 PM

Green beans that are pressure canned for the proper time are very safe to eat.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:52 AM

[QUOTE=elnan;7559189]The best frozen corn I ever ate was frozen shucks & all.

this is how we did it growing up. its so easy. The good thing too is that if you want to grill it, take it out and thaw, theres already enough moisture for it. We did take out the silk, just to make it easier later on. I love my vacuum sealer by the way. I'm single and sometimes I get cravings when I'm shopping and end up with too much in my freezer and yep,end up with freezer burn. The sealer protects my food.