Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: canning jellies

does anyone can with a steam canner.
    I was wondering if when making jelly you use a steam canner or waterbath or none at all
    I just got a steam canner

as hot as it is here I was hoping not have water bath my jelly

with jellies, I've only ever used water bath canning.

same here
    Quote Originally Posted by nycquilter
    with jellies, I've only ever used water bath canning.

I just filled the clean jars to almost 1/8 inch full then make sure rim is clean and put lid and ring on. The heat seals it when it cools. Has always worked for me.

thank-you all I just had trouble with rhubarb & strawberry going bad they were sealed

Blog Entries
    I just finished 12 jars of Naval orange marmalade and did the 10 min water bath. I prefer that to the steamer which I use for meats, stews, tomatoes, and other high acid things.

When I, my mom or my grandmother made jelly/jam/preserves, we always just used a layer of melted parafin wax. And we didn't use canning jars either. We saved appropriate-sized jars (from pickles, peanut butter, etc.) and used those for jelly. We all had a separate pan (or more likely an empty coffee can or something similar) for melting the wax. As the jelly cooled, the wax cooled and sealed the jar. I'm aware that that method is not advised nowadays, but it's been used for decades. None of us ever had a problem and the product would last for years. We never refrigerated our open jelly jars, either. My family went through it so fast it never had a chance to get moldy or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
    When I, my mom or my grandmother made jelly/jam/preserves, we always just used a layer of melted parafin wax. And we didn't use canning jars either. We saved appropriate-sized jars (from pickles, peanut butter, etc.) and used those for jelly. We all had a separate pan (or more likely an empty coffee can or something similar) for melting the wax. As the jelly cooled, the wax cooled and sealed the jar. I'm aware that that method is not advised nowadays, but it's been used for decades. None of us ever had a problem and the product would last for years. We never refrigerated our open jelly jars, either. My family went through it so fast it never had a chance to get moldy or whatever.
    I mostly do freezer jams, but when I have done jelly in the past I use the wax method as well. I have also used water bath.

When you say "canning", I think "HOT!" I've used a waterbath for years and picked currants yesterday morning, so let's give a cheer for currant jelly!

Blog Entries
    This week I opened a forgotten jar of 1999 Plum Jam. It was slightly discolored but tasted good.
    When I made jam or jelly, I boiled it and put it in jars. The flat lids were kept in just less than boiling water and put on the clean tops fast, then the rings screwed down tightly. Later I would punch each top to see if it would pop down, if not it went into hot water for a boil. Then I'd let them set for a couple of days.

If it was thick, it was labeled jam or marmalade or jelly. If not, then it was labeled Pancake Syrup!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast