Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Canning Salsa >

Canning Salsa

Canning Salsa

Old 09-06-2014, 06:08 AM

I'm looking for a salsa recipe to. This would be great. In the past I've used the hot water bath to with no problems
Old 09-06-2014, 07:06 AM

Me too! I love homemade salsa!
Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 AM

Oh please, share
Old 09-06-2014, 10:51 AM

I'm making salsa as we speak. Every Saturday I spend the day doing tomatoes and since I have plenty of spaghetti sauce canned up its salsa time. I also supply the guys in our congregation with salsa so have to be sure I have enough to last us thru till next year. One of the guys gives me tomato plants in the spring so its only fair he gets some of the salsa. Last Tuesday I gave him a quart of freshly made salsa and he came back with the nicest compliment. He said "I was going home to have popcorn tonight but now I think I'll open this up instead". A compliment like that makes it all worthwhile all the trouble you go thru making it.

I have a tomato strainer machine to run the juicier tomatoes thru but the Romas I blanch and peel by hand so I have some chunks in the sauce. I like mine pretty chunky.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:54 AM

I don't use a recipe just add whatever I think should be in the sauce such of tomatoes of course onions, basil, parsley, pepper, cayenne pepper, green & red peppers, and of course a variety of hot peppers I grow in the garden. Throw it all into a large pot and let it simmer till most of the juice is cooked down. Then I put into jars and into the canner for however long it calls for. So each batch will taste differently but I do a taste test to see if it has the zing I'm looking for. If not I add most spices.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:48 PM

This is a delicious salsa I make that would can well. 1 gallon diced tomatoes, 1 large white onion, 2 fresh jalapenos (seeds removed), 2/3 bunch fresh cilantro, 2 T lime juice, 1 T garlic salt or powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic. Dump tomatoes and chopped onion into large bowl, add chopped jalapeno and cilantro. Pour in batches into blender or food processor and process to desired chunkiness. If you don't like real juicy, can drain off some of the juice. (I'd save the juice for red beer or to use in soup.)
Old 09-06-2014, 07:05 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

OH I agree with vjc .. share ? Please !
Old 09-06-2014, 07:06 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by materialgrl View Post
I'm looking for a salsa recipe to. This would be great. In the past I've used the hot water bath to with no problems
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Me either and I have been making salsa from the ball blue book for 20 years ... water bathed them every time; but I have cooked the salsa before hand so maybe that makes the difference !
Old 09-07-2014, 10:14 AM

I have a great recipe of my Mother's that i make cases of for gifts and family. Okay....I have to admit that we probably broke rules for years! Our jars are hot...our lids are hot...and the salsa is boiling(simmering?)...We filled the jars and sealed. We did make certain they sealed (lots of little pop sounds). Never did pressure or water bath. It always kept well. Of course, it was usually eaten very quickly!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:04 AM

I just watched an old Alton Brown- Good Eats episode. He said salsa freezes very well and he does it all the time. I want to try this as canning salsa cooks the ingredients and it will never be the same as fresh. I will try this and probably add green onion and cilantro to the batch after thawing to freshen it up. Happy cooking!