Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipped Beef! As Gram would say... SOS ..

Blog Entries

Chipped Beef! As Gram would say... SOS ..

NOW !! after reading this section, I am hungry for SOS... as my Grammy called it S$#& on shingles... lol.. why she called it that, I don't know.. but after I ate it, it was my favorite.. on toast... She was Pennsylvania Dutch and I don't have her recipe.. She had it in her head... anyone out there know ???
    Squirrelly Shirley

Blog Entries
    My Uncle Bill used to make a big pot of tomato soup with chucks of cheddar and eat that on toast... the soup was left thick...
    Squirrelly Shirley

yes it is my fav too... beef bullion cubes flour to paste.mix bullion water and flour. and brown hamburger mix all together and toast the toast. salt and pepper to taste. oh yea mash potatoes in there to
    ​debra

Blog Entries
    Chips.... you are making it worse! i am starving her at work! oh man...
    Quote Originally Posted by chips88 View Post
    yes it is my fav too... beef bullion cubes flour to paste.mix bullion water and flour. and brown hamburger mix all together and toast the toast. salt and pepper to taste. oh yea mash potatoes in there to
    Squirrelly Shirley

I do it the easy way...buy packages of dried chipped beef - in my grocery store, near the bacon/pork roll. Recipe is on the back of the package but it's easy. I cut up the beef into bite size pieces, I use 1/2 the butter (abt 2 tbsp - recipe calls for 4). Brown the meat in the butter for a couple of seconds. Add 4 tablespoons flour; 2.5 cups milk. Stir to get rid of lumps, cook over med heat until thick - about 5-10 min. Since I try to avoid flour, I eat it over baked (or nuked) potato. DH likes it on toast.

If I don't feel like making white cream gravy I use an envelope of Peppered White Gravy that you add 3 cups water to. I use the dried beef in jars, cut in bitesize pieces. I don't add the dried beef until the gravy is smooth. This doesn't need salt....there's plenty in the beef.
    Ellen......I'm gonna go play now

http://bestsmileys.com/computer1/19.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/auntie_em22

Blog Entries
    When I was a kid, my Mom's "creamed chipped beef" was a white sauce (butter, flour and milk) to which she added chopped up Buddig beef, from the small pouch, and peas. We ate it on toast. Not my favorite, but I liked it better than what she called "chop-suey"!!!
    Sue

Blog Entries
    we grew up eating it. jarred chipped beef and white sauce. mom added a chopped hard boiled egg
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Diet Dr. Pepper in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

I remember my Mom making this during World War II when fresh meat was rationed. We ate it at least one or two nights a week. Also creamed tuna on toast. I still enjoy those simple dishes.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

My Mom called it S on a S too. I had it at a friend's house and she was rather snobbish about it when I came home raving about it. Said that name came from soldiers eating it too many times during the war.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast