Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cream cheese poundcake >

Cream cheese poundcake

Cream cheese poundcake

Old 04-05-2015, 09:28 PM

Default Cream cheese poundcake

I have been using the recipe for this cake that Kacklebird posted back in 2011. I have made it twice with no problems. The last two I've made have been a different story. I made one this week for Easter dessert and it was a disaster! The cake rose up in the pan then cracked so the top looked like stairs. The part around the center of the pan was higher than the edges. When I took it out of the pan, several large pieces broke off it around the bottom. It tasted delicious but looked pathetic!

The recipe has very specific directions about mixing and adding ingredients, which I followed exactly. Any ideas as to what went wrong?

Last edited by Pinkiris; 04-05-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:33 AM

I have a friend who loves to bake and she has made a couple of cakes from recipes that have been tried & true and both of them did the same thing yours did. Same recipe, same oven, same pan. The only thing I could think of was the size of eggs she was using. She says she always uses extra large, but I read somewhere recently that if an egg is called for in a recipe, then they mean large. I hope someone has the real answer, so I can help her out too.

Edited to add: This Betty Crocker website has some good info. http://www.bettycrocker.com/products...oist-cakes/faq

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-06-2015 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:10 AM

Could it be your oven is off?
Dodee
Old 04-06-2015, 07:29 AM

Were your ingredients room temperature? Sometimes that makes a difference.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
I have been using the recipe for this cake that Kacklebird posted back in 2011. I have made it twice with no problems. The last two I've made have been a different story. I made one this week for Easter dessert and it was a disaster! The cake rose up in the pan then cracked so the top looked like stairs. The part around the center of the pan was higher than the edges. When I took it out of the pan, several large pieces broke off it around the bottom. It tasted delicious but looked pathetic!

The recipe has very specific directions about mixing and adding ingredients, which I followed exactly. Any ideas as to what went wrong?
You got me curious about the recipe, so I found it and posting here in case someone else wants it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes...e-t162585.html
Old 04-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Did you use regular cream cheese?
..... or one of the low fat? fat free? spreadables?

A substitution from the original type of cream cheese could change the outcome.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 PM

Large eggs, regular cream cheese - both at room temperature. Could be that the oven is off, I suppose. Everything else seems to cook okay.

Sibram -- how were you able to show the link to the original recipe? I wanted to do that, but couldn't find instructions on how.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:24 PM

I'm not Sibram, but to show a link in a post.... while you are in the link, go up to your address line and do control key+c. This copies the address. When you go back to the note you are writing, do control key+v. This pastes it in the note. It won't show up right until you save the post.

Edited to add: When you go to the address line, highlight the address, then do control key + c.

2nd edit: I have that recipe and am going to have to try it, just to see if the same problem happens to me. I don't cook cakes that often these days, but I am intrigued with this problem of the cracking and sticking.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-06-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
Large eggs, regular cream cheese - both at room temperature. Could be that the oven is off, I suppose. Everything else seems to cook okay.

Sibram -- how were you able to show the link to the original recipe? I wanted to do that, but couldn't find instructions on how.
I found the recipe first by using the search feature in the upper right of the screen, then I copied the link in the address bar by highlighting it, then control c (copy feature). I used control v to insert that link into the message. I am using Vista, and it might be different with windows 8.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I'm not Sibram, but to show a link in a post.... while you are in the link, go up to your address line and do control key+c. This copies the address. When you go back to the note you are writing, do control key+v. This pastes it in the note. It won't show up right until you save the post.

Edited to add: When you go to the address line, highlight the address, then do control key + c.

2nd edit: I have that recipe and am going to have to try it, just to see if the same problem happens to me. I don't cook cakes that often these days, but I am intrigued with this problem of the cracking and sticking.
I think I want to try that recipe too. I like to bake every so often, even though I usually have to freeze a large portion of whatever it is.