Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
freezing dtuff >

freezing dtuff

freezing dtuff

Old 06-19-2013, 05:23 AM

Omg! QuiltE my grammy made this like every week... she would put in the big fry pan a stick of butter, slice and chop up a head of cabbage, cook it down til it is tender, salt and pepper to taste and she would boil a pound box of bowties and mix it all together in one of her big bowls ! that simple and there was never any left overs.. if we were lucky, she would boil up sausage and potatoes and serve them in another bowl..

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Please do tell us more about fried cabbage and bow ties ... perhaps a recipe too!
I am totally intrigued!! THANKS!!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

You have my attention, GGirl! ... I had wondered if it may be as simple as that, though I also wondered what other add ins there might be. mmmmmm sausage would be perfect ... or even some browned bulk sausage added to the mix. I grew up with lots of boiled cabbage (of course, slathered in butter!) and know many do not like cabbage, though I do! And when I have it, will add a wedge to cook alongside of roast veggies. Love the sweetness it can add to veggie soup.

Now get this ... I don't particularly care for cole slaw or cabbage salad! Weird, I know!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM

oh man now i am hungry !! when i cut up the cabbage i will eat the center core of it.. just like my Dad used to do.
Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
You have my attention, GGirl! ... I had wondered if it may be as simple as that, though I also wondered what other add ins there might be. mmmmmm sausage would be perfect ... or even some browned bulk sausage added to the mix. I grew up with lots of boiled cabbage (of course, slathered in butter!) and know many do not like cabbage, though I do! And when I have it, will add a wedge to cook alongside of roast veggies. Love the sweetness it can add to veggie soup.

Now get this ... I don't particularly care for cole slaw or cabbage salad! Weird, I know!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:14 PM

My DM fixed cabbage and turnips in a similar method. First..bacon grease or salt pork, of course. Then boil covered pan of either veg with little salt and pepper and sugar. Just cooked til tender and I can make my meal on either one. Hard to find good turnips that aren't bitter since our neighbor quit sowing them in their corn fields!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 PM

Melons are delicious frozen and then eaten frozen. Melon pops..cool treat for summer.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:51 AM

yeah girliegirl, recipe please! and for the extension for NC, I didn't even think about that one! will do that this week! thanks everyone for your help!

thanks girlirgirl, so fried cabage wuth bowties, polish kelbaska???

throw diced potatoes(already cooked, also the sausage, add it all together, mmmmm what a meal) I will do this one this week! again thanks everyone....

Last edited by Psychomomquilter; 06-30-2013 at 03:55 AM.