Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fresh corn....... >

Fresh corn.......

Fresh corn.......

Old 08-18-2014, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
An old Farm Journal recipe for fresh corn cut off the cob:

Indian Squaw Corn

Fry abut four or five slices of bacon (You can cut the slices with kitchen scissors) until done to your liking
Throw in four cups of cut fresh corn
Break three or four fresh eggs into the mixture
salt and season to your taste.

Stir until warmed through and eggs are cooked.

Found the recipe more than sixty five years ago, and its a favorite of my dh who asks for it from time to time. He was raised on the farm, too, but had never tried it until after we were married.
Sounds like this might be lunch today....just bought doz white corn from farm down the road....yummy.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:53 AM

I have a favorite, when steaming and serving with butter and salt gets dull...

Soak husks until good and wet so they won't burn, peel back carefully, butter them with a flavored butter (powdered cumin, rosemary, oregano, a little paprika or something to give it heat), and tuck the husks back around the corn. Grill until charred a bit on each side. Yum!
Old 08-23-2014, 04:57 PM

There is a new way of cooking corn on the cob that is really popular right now. You keep all of the husk on, including the silk - do not disturb it at all. Slice about an inch off of the bottom of the cob - takes a really sharp knife - so be careful. Microwave it for 2 minutes - let it sit in the microwave for another two minutes. Then take it out with a potholder and hold it upright by the husk with the silk in your grasp and shake out the whole corn cob. It comes out clean with no silks at all. You can go to UTube and find videos of this method.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:44 AM

I always make soup. I sauté onions and garlic then add chicken broth and then I add corn off the cob no need to cook it first it cooks in the soup .. add a roué to make it thicker and whola a new way to eat your corn. you can freeze it easily great winter snack. I do it in one cup servings in small Tupperware I have and it works great then just micro to eat. you can add some diced carrots for color, green onion for color (add near the end to keep the color) or cheddar cheese for deep sweet flavor.. so many options and its an easy creamed soup.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:09 PM

I clean fresh corn on the cob, put it into a boiling bath water with milk added to it for three or four minutes, quickly put the ears into ice water to cool and bag into freezer bags and freeze four ears to the package. Then when I take out a package I put each ear into the microwave for two and one half minutnes full power. Rotate the ear and give it another two and one half minutes to finish. So in five minutes, no mess, fresh sweet corn is ready to eat. My FIL at 92 years young taught me this trick. So easy to do...I even double it up to two ears with excellent results. You can still cut it off the cob, if that is your choice.