Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fresh corn... >

Fresh corn...

Fresh corn...

Old 08-05-2018, 09:16 AM

Default Fresh corn...

I love white corn and one farmer here sells it...bought the last dozen today...but now what to do with all this corn.....
i, of course will steam some for dinner tonite, but then what with the other 10?

ive tried in years past to freeze fresh corn, but something got lost in the process. What is your secret to successful preserving of fresh corn on the cob?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:11 AM

My Mom blanched it using a colander (dunk in boiling water, then ice water) us. Then laid it out in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. After it has been in the freezer for a bit transfer to ziploc bags and place back in freezer.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I have heard that some people like to leave it in the husks and freeze whole in freezer bags. I usually just enjoy it fresh. My favourite way to cook it is in the husk for 3 minutes in our microwave. I use a serrated knife to cut across the big end of the ear, removing one row of kernels and use my oven gloves to squeeze out the ear. Works wonderfully well!
Old 08-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

We always cut the kernels off the cob when we freeze corn.

IMO, the cob does not add anything to the flavor - and takes up a lot of freezer space.

This is very close to how we freeze corn.

https://www.simplycanning.com/freezing-corn.html

Except we do scrape the cob with the back of the knife to get every bit of the corn available.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:25 AM

I'd make a batch of corn soup/chowder and then freeze it...yummmmm! You can use the cobs to make a wonderful broth, so don't throw those out.

~C.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:46 PM

We have a Food Saver sealing machine & I just shuck the corn & put them (uncooked) in food saver bags & seal & freeze. Then when we are ready to eat them I just remove them from the bag, boil for a few minutes & they are delicious.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

My husband blanches it and then freezes it in baggies. It tastes really good!
Old 08-06-2018, 12:55 AM

I came across a Corn soup recipe that was a bit unusual. You cut the kernels off the cob, break the cobs in half, and put them in the pot to cook along with the soup. Remove the cobs at the end and blend some or all of the soup in a blender. The premise was that the cobs add additional flavor. I have not tried it but plan to. It does make sense and while corn is relatively inexpensive now, this is the time to try.
It is a pressure cooker/Instant Pot recipe but would work just in a stockpot too. Here is the link:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...up-recipe.html
Old 08-06-2018, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
We have a Food Saver sealing machine & I just shuck the corn & put them (uncooked) in food saver bags & seal & freeze. Then when we are ready to eat them I just remove them from the bag, boil for a few minutes & they are delicious.
yes, I have one of those too! Great little gadget! I'll try shucking raw, freeze on cookie sheets first, then seal and freeze.....today's chore! Thanks
Old 08-06-2018, 04:37 AM

We have a large garden. I have tried a lot of different ways to freeze corn on the cob and we don't like any of them. The corn gets mushy. I bring a large pot of water to a boil. Put the corn in and start a timer and leave in for 3 minutes.Then put into ice water. I cut it off, an electric knife works the best if you have one. I freeze it in zip lock bags. Just cook it enough to warm it when you eat it. I haven't bought corn in the grocery for 30+ years.