Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fresh corn...

Fresh corn...

I love white corn and one farmer here sells it...bought the last dozen today...but now what to do with all this corn.....
    i, of course will steam some for dinner tonite, but then what with the other 10?

ive tried in years past to freeze fresh corn, but something got lost in the process. What is your secret to successful preserving of fresh corn on the cob?

My Mom blanched it using a colander (dunk in boiling water, then ice water) us. Then laid it out in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. After it has been in the freezer for a bit transfer to ziploc bags and place back in freezer.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    I have heard that some people like to leave it in the husks and freeze whole in freezer bags. I usually just enjoy it fresh. My favourite way to cook it is in the husk for 3 minutes in our microwave. I use a serrated knife to cut across the big end of the ear, removing one row of kernels and use my oven gloves to squeeze out the ear. Works wonderfully well!

Power Poster
    We always cut the kernels off the cob when we freeze corn.

IMO, the cob does not add anything to the flavor - and takes up a lot of freezer space.

This is very close to how we freeze corn.

https://www.simplycanning.com/freezing-corn.html

Except we do scrape the cob with the back of the knife to get every bit of the corn available.

I'd make a batch of corn soup/chowder and then freeze it...yummmmm! You can use the cobs to make a wonderful broth, so don't throw those out.

~C.

We have a Food Saver sealing machine & I just shuck the corn & put them (uncooked) in food saver bags & seal & freeze. Then when we are ready to eat them I just remove them from the bag, boil for a few minutes & they are delicious.

My husband blanches it and then freezes it in baggies. It tastes really good!

I came across a Corn soup recipe that was a bit unusual. You cut the kernels off the cob, break the cobs in half, and put them in the pot to cook along with the soup. Remove the cobs at the end and blend some or all of the soup in a blender. The premise was that the cobs add additional flavor. I have not tried it but plan to. It does make sense and while corn is relatively inexpensive now, this is the time to try.
    It is a pressure cooker/Instant Pot recipe but would work just in a stockpot too. Here is the link:
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...up-recipe.html

Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    We have a Food Saver sealing machine & I just shuck the corn & put them (uncooked) in food saver bags & seal & freeze. Then when we are ready to eat them I just remove them from the bag, boil for a few minutes & they are delicious.
    yes, I have one of those too! Great little gadget! I'll try shucking raw, freeze on cookie sheets first, then seal and freeze.....today's chore! Thanks

Blog Entries
    We have a large garden. I have tried a lot of different ways to freeze corn on the cob and we don't like any of them. The corn gets mushy. I bring a large pot of water to a boil. Put the corn in and start a timer and leave in for 3 minutes.Then put into ice water. I cut it off, an electric knife works the best if you have one. I freeze it in zip lock bags. Just cook it enough to warm it when you eat it. I haven't bought corn in the grocery for 30+ years.

Blog Entries
    I have put the cleaned ears in the dishwasher to be blanched. The water was very hot, and saved a lot of time getting out big containers to blanch.
    Just put the ears in a big batch of ice cold water, let cool and put in freezer bags.
    Works for me.
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

jdt
    I just put it in a plastic bag, and put the corn, husks and all, into the freezer. I trim off the silk. They freeze very well and when I want to eat one, I pop it in the microwave, husk and all, for three minutes. Let the outside cool a bit or use a mitt and husk it. Tastes like it just came off the plant. Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by jdt View Post
    I just put it in a plastic bag, and put the corn, husks and all, into the freezer. I trim off the silk. They freeze very well and when I want to eat one, I pop it in the microwave, husk and all, for three minutes. Let the outside cool a bit or use a mitt and husk it. Tastes like it just came off the plant. Yummy.
    This is how I was taught to freeze corn too. My grandmother would boil it in the husk, after cutting off the silk end.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

My neighbour's recipe for creamed corn... cut off cob (raw) - to a dutch oven of kernels (about 6 quarts), add 1 pint half and half (10% cream), 1 pound butter, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Coot 10 minutes, cool, package and freeze. Very yummy!
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.