Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
just for fun >

just for fun

just for fun

Old 08-05-2016, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
And I put my crock pot out on my screened in porch so it doesn't heat up the house or smell up the house.
I put mine on a bench outside and a good pot roast smells up the neighborhood real good! I saw the cutest little crockpot at a thrift store the other day - I don't think it held more than 1-1/2 C. I have one that holds two cups, so I didn't buy it! I probably should have - it was only a dollar, but it was "all the clothes you can put in a plastic bag for $6.00 day!!!! Got 12 shirts in my bag plus a sweatshirt that I saw online for $48.00! I hit the jackpot!!!! I love thrift stores. You can get some really nice fabric there too. Edie
Old 08-05-2016, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I looked for recipes on the internet and it says 3 hours on top of the stove. You have to keep watching the water level and turning the can every half hour. That seemed like a lot of work and wasted energy so I decided to try the crock pot method. Several methods I saw said to just remove the label and leave it in the can then do it like you said in the crock pot. I have three sizes of crock pots, and had spaghetti sauce cooking in the medium size one so decided to try the caramel in the small one. My canning jar was too big for it to have enough water coverage, so I left it in the can. It should be done in another hour and 20 minutes. They did warn to not use the pull tab type cans, and it said to transfer it to a jar to refrigerate any leftovers. I can hardly wait for it to get done...got some butter pecan ice cream waiting! LOL OK, a bit off topic but... speaking of butter pecan or vanilla ice cream... Cut a cantaloupe in half, remove pulp and seeds and fill with ice cream. Yum!!!!
Well did it turn out ok for you? I was a little concerned that 3 hours might not be long enough to turn it the brown caramel color. That's another reason I think I prefer the glass, you can see the change in color.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:10 AM

Crock pots are great! I make apple butter, cook rice, dry beans, breakfast oatmeal, and you can make bread, all sorts of desserts, sauces, cobblers, bake apples, potatoes. I have three crock pots and use them all. Fantastic for "Musgo" soup. Just put all leftovers in the pot that you think would make a good soup, add seasonings, cheeses, or whatever you have on hand. ("Musgo" soup is what you make from the stuff in your fridge that is still good but not enough for another meal, or leftover veggies and you look at the container and say, "This musgo!) There are tons of good recipes for crock pot meals on the internet.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:27 AM

I love my crockpot too. I had one that I bought in the 90's and I wore it out. When my kids were growing up, I used that and my pressure cookers every week. The crock insert was heavy and thick like an older stoneware bean pot. Two years ago it quit working and I was excited to buy a new one until I went shopping. They are not making these the way they used to. The inserts are thin and it causes the food to cook faster and even scorch in some cases. I bought one to use until I find one that I can be happy with. I think I'll have to look on eBay or Craig's List for a used one. I had an Oster breadmaker that I had for years, and last year it stopped working. I found the same type of thing when I went shopping for a replacement. I bought one, and it was so cheaply made that I returned it and purchased a like-new Oster model that was almost identical to my original breadmaker. The quality difference was like night and day, and for a fraction of the price.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
I love my crockpot too. I had one that I bought in the 90's and I wore it out. When my kids were growing up, I used that and my pressure cookers every week. The crock insert was heavy and thick like an older stoneware bean pot. Two years ago it quit working and I was excited to buy a new one until I went shopping. They are not making these the way they used to. The inserts are thin and it causes the food to cook faster and even scorch in some cases. I bought one to use until I find one that I can be happy with. I think I'll have to look on eBay or Craig's List for a used one. I had an Oster breadmaker that I had for years, and last year it stopped working. I found the same type of thing when I went shopping for a replacement. I bought one, and it was so cheaply made that I returned it and purchased a like-new Oster model that was almost identical to my original breadmaker. The quality difference was like night and day, and for a fraction of the price.
Be sure to look for the one that is the original Crock Pot. I bought one that said Crock Pot but was not made by the original company and it was so poorly made I was afraid to use it. The imposters just aren't made like the original ones.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I made the caramel in the can lots of time. Now I buy it in the can ready made. Taste the same.
I haven't seen it ready made in a can. All I have been able to purchase is the stuff in the jars with the ice cream toppings. It has way too many additives, is too sweet and has a funny after taste; so I stopped buying it. Was really glad to learn of this.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
Be sure to look for the one that is the original Crock Pot. I bought one that said Crock Pot but was not made by the original company and it was so poorly made I was afraid to use it. The imposters just aren't made like the original ones.
I have two "Kitchen Selectives" (cheap brand from Target) and a "Hamilton Beach", and all work just fine. I've had them quite awhile and use the medium and small ones often. I really don't see any difference. I recall my first crock pot did not have a removable bowl, was heavy, and you had to hand wash it being careful not to get the bottom part wet. They were not submersible. Later I got one with the removable crock. (Am I old or what!) LOL
Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
Well did it turn out ok for you? I was a little concerned that 3 hours might not be long enough to turn it the brown caramel color. That's another reason I think I prefer the glass, you can see the change in color.
I cooked it in the crock pot, in the can, for 10 hours and it was really good. At first it was a bit lumpy but that stirred out. Then a gooey job transferring leftovers to a jar, so next time I will start it in the jar. I agree it would be better to be able to watch it. I think with less time it would not have been lumpy... seemed over cooked to me. But I am so happy to have learned of this. Its really, really good. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:12 AM

I had one of the original ones too. The design was impractical. They were dirt cheap then. I was so glad when they came out with removable pots.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:43 AM

One thing I forgot to say earlier... I'd be hesitant to purchase an older, used one, because often the cords were bad on the older ones. Could be a safety hazard.