Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
need non pie apple desert >

need non pie apple desert

need non pie apple desert

Old 11-04-2014, 02:21 PM

Lynnie, I just peel, core and slice my apples - add about 1/4 cup of Minute Tapioca (it makes the pie thicken) then I squeeze a little bit of lemon juice - add sugar (I use white sugar - sometimes one cup or more) then I add a little bit of brown sugar - not much - finally I shake some cinnamon and small amount of nutmeg - before I put the top crust on - I dab some margarine or butter on top of the filling. Since I've started using the Tapioca I've never had a pie come out runny.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:02 PM

Sprinkle the bottom of a 9x13 pan with 1/4 cup of brown sugar, sprinkle that with a good dusting of cinnamon. Put a single layer of fresh or canned apples over the entire bottom of the pan, dust with cinnamon again. Prepare and mix any cake mix (yellow, spice, gingerbread, etc.) pour over apples and bake as directed on label. Yummy! Always a hit at my house. You can do the same with pears, peaches, berries, etc.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:53 AM

How about an old fashioned Brown Betty
Old 11-05-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
Lynnie, I just peel, core and slice my apples - add about 1/4 cup of Minute Tapioca (it makes the pie thicken) then I squeeze a little bit of lemon juice - add sugar (I use white sugar - sometimes one cup or more) then I add a little bit of brown sugar - not much - finally I shake some cinnamon and small amount of nutmeg - before I put the top crust on - I dab some margarine or butter on top of the filling. Since I've started using the Tapioca I've never had a pie come out runny.
This is the way to make apple pie that isn't runny. I put all the filling ingredients into a bowl and mix up well. Then the apple pieces are coated with the sugar-tapioca-spice mixture. No more runny pies.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 AM
dd

I slice my apples into 9x13 pan with cinnamon, a little lemon juice, and vanilla. Take a white cake mix and mix in a stick of melted butter. This will form a crumble for the top. I dot with butter and bake for about an hour. Sometimes I go ahead and put the apples in while the oven is heating. I mix up the crumble and clean up the kitchen for a little while to let the apples start to bake. Just to make sure they are done. The crumble doesn't take as long as the apples. I don't like biting into a hard apple piece in my pie. I have used canned filling too but it isn't as good. I added caramel the last time and everyone liked that. I even tinted the crumble orange and green for Halloween. Made it look moldy.lol
Old 11-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
every time I make apple pie, no matter what, it comes out watery.
I decided I'm not good at pies. so what kind of dessert can I make
with apples for Thanksgiving that's not pie.

thanks a bunch and if it's easy, that's even better!
If you put a 1/4 cup of tapioca(the stuff in the red box), your pie won't be watery.
You could do an apple cobbler, really simple. The one I use has a can of biscuits for the top crust.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:19 AM

Try the Apple Betty! I have been making it for years and it is my husband's favorite dessert. I serve it topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Delicious!
Old 11-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Apple Cobbler

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/1846/apple-cobbler
Old 11-05-2014, 03:46 PM

Sprinkle tapioca over your unbanked apples with the sugar and cinnamon when you place them in the pie shell. No more watery filling!
Old 11-05-2014, 04:04 PM

I think I will try some of these ideas, I made up a recipe that is easy to do too...I spoon cooked and seasoned apples over a cake mix that has been prepared and put into a 9x11 baking dish ready to put into the oven, just before I put it the oven I spoon apples over the top of the prepared cake mix. The fruit drops down to the middle of the cake. We have to watch our sugar intake, so I do not put icing, but you could ice the cake with any icing you like. I have used canned fruit and fresh (cooked) fruit, nuts make a nice addition.