Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Needed recipe! German Beef Rouladin >

Needed recipe! German Beef Rouladin

Needed recipe! German Beef Rouladin

Old 12-07-2014, 02:00 PM

Default Needed recipe! German Beef Rouladin

My mom used to make this and I loved it. She passed without sharing her recipe but it was genuine old school German. She bought round steak pounded it thin, coated it with mustard. put a pickle and diced onion in it (red or yellow whatever we had in the house) and I think rolled it, browned it and then.. lost. can you help me? not a recipe you found on line but one your making at home from your old school recipe too.. please post immediately I would love to make it tonight and its 3 now! ahhh!!!
Old 12-07-2014, 02:22 PM

I bought this little German cookbook in 1995 in Leavenworth (DH is German) so it's not a long ago recipe but I'll share it here in case you don't find someone with an older version.

Braised Stuffed Beef Rolls (Rouladen)

2 lb. round steak, trimmed of fat
Hot prepared mustard
4 slices thin bacon, diced
3 Tbsp minced dill pickle or relish
1 large onion, chopped fine
Flour
3 Tbsp butter
2 cups beef bouillon
salt & pepper to taste
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Cut the meat into 4 thin rectangles, each about 4" wide and 8" long. Pound with a mallet or the edge of a plate to make as thin as possible. Arrange the beef slices on a flat surface and spread the top side of each one with mustard. Combine the bacon, pickle and onion and place a large spoonful of the mixture on each slice of meat. Roll up carefully and secure with toothpicks, being sure that the filling is completely enclosed. Dust each roll with flour. Melt the butter in a skillet and brown the Rouladen on both sides. Add the bouillon and season with salt and pepper. Cook slow, covered, about 1 hour or until the meat is tender. Stir in the parsley and serve. Makes 4 servings. Enjoy!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 AM

Last year my neighbor who was born in Germany cooked a traditional dinner for us. I helped cook and beef rouladin was on the menu. We used round steak that had been special cut at the butcher. We used mustard, minced onion, a dil pickle slice, rolled and browned well before baking at 350* for an hour or more. We used the drippings for a regular gravy. She also served red cabbage cooked with apple and onion, speitzel (?spelling) and a dark rye bread. It was all delicious. Cooking with her was so much fun. Yes on apple strudel for dessert. Yum
Old 12-12-2014, 06:25 PM

I make mine with bacon and onion. I have used the Malanese (?) meat from the Mexican market, also Wal-mart and Costco, when I can't find someone that will cut it for me. Just make sure it is not too thin. Cut into pieces, I cut it in half, salt and pepper, bacon and slice of onion. Seal with toothpicks, I try to use 3 on each roll. I roll, use 1, then seal ends with other two. That way you can find them and not eat them. Heat oil with a pinch of sugar in middle of pan, when sugar is melted, put in rolls. Brown the heck out of them, put in water, cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Someone told me they make theirs with tuna inside. Guess it just depends what part of Germany you come from.

Last edited by yngldy; 12-12-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: adding
Old 12-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

I want to come over and eat it.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:54 AM

made it with bacon, onions and pickle in mine no pickle in the mans . BRowned it, then put it in a pan with combo beef broth and tomato paste as he cant stand gravy sigh. it was a thick redish color so it was ok. double sigh. I think it came out but still not mamas rouladine. wish it was closer to what she made. think the extra parsley and the brown gravy might do the trick. will try that next time. he said it was "interesting" which means it didn't hit the spot. sigh. will make it for one of you next round. yup that's what I will do! thanks for the tips. any more are more than welcome. I have read that different parts of Gemany cook it differently. some use pickles some use bacon all use onions and mustard . open to try more!