Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pheasant >

Pheasant

Pheasant

Old 07-11-2014, 05:52 PM

Default Pheasant

I just acquired a frozen pheasant. I know that I thaw it and cut it apart like a chicken. From there I am lost. Got any good recipes for this unusual bird of mine? Thanks for your help
Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

You can cook it just as you would chicken. How was it killed? If it was shot, make sure to check it for pellets. Since pheasant actually fly, they can be tough so slow cooking helps. They can also be dry so a recipe with a sauce or gravy can help.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:31 PM

My mom would dredge the pieces in flour,brown lightly,then put in a casserole with cream. Cover and cook several hours at a low temperature to tenderize.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:43 PM

You can also just stick in the crock pot with a tiny bit of water. Let it cook several hours until it falls off the bone. You can then make pot pies, noodles, casseroles or whatever.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:00 AM

I always soak them in salt water for a couple of hours, check for pellets and pin feathers. Dredge in flour, salt and pepper and brown. Then put in a covered pan and pour either cream or sour cream over and bake at 325 until tender.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

This is how my son does it. He rarely buys meat out of the store anymore. Tired of the recalls.
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
You can also just stick in the crock pot with a tiny bit of water. Let it cook several hours until it falls off the bone. You can then make pot pies, noodles, casseroles or whatever.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:31 PM

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:44 PM

My father-in-law use to go pheasant hunting all the time. He always stuffed it with bulk sausage and baked it in the oven. Was always moist and quite good.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:20 AM

Wink

I like it with mushroom soup - brown it first and then use a can of mushrooms and mushroom soup and bake it. Also a traditional item with pheasant in our home is Minnesota Wild Rice (not the green kind - the black kind). That is a casserole made also with mushrooms and mushroom soup. It is a very comfort food dinner with Jello Bavarian made with Cool Whip. And pumpkin pie for dessert! Good good autumn fresh pheasant dinner from Minnesota, don'cha know!!!!!! Edie

PS - Thanks a lot - I have some pheasant in the freezer right now and that sounds really good. I have to get the rest of the venison eaten also. I have some good recipes for venison if anyone wants one. Also, if you want the recipe for the pheasant, wild rice (which is to die for - my mom's recipe - she used to give her son in laws two pounds of wild rice, some cans of mushroom soup and canned bits and pieces mushrooms and then her daughters would have to cook it for their husbands. Every husband loved the wild rice casserole - also the recipe for the Jello Bavarian - very simple, very easy - easy dinner - Good Minnesota Viking watch on tv and scarf down that dinner!!!!!!!! dinner!!

Last edited by Edie; 07-13-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:03 PM

I was born and raised in Iowa, and we always had Creamed Pheasant,served over toast or mashed potatoes. Yummy!!