Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Ready-made roll up pie crusts >

Ready-made roll up pie crusts

Ready-made roll up pie crusts

Old 01-13-2016, 10:55 PM

Default pie crusts

Originally Posted by sak658 View Post
I only use Marie Callenders, they are as close to homemade as any I've found...they are delicious..just took a pecan pie out of the oven...My pastor loves them and this one is going to Wed night service and given to him...
I've never seen roll up pie crusts. However I have purchased frozen Marie Callenders crusts at my local store. Sometimes they are broken and I don't think they taste real good.

But, I can buy fresh or frozen pie crusts from my local Marie Callenders and at Polly's Pies and they are both great. You can buy both unbaked or you can buy baked. I think my homemade pie crusts taste good, but they look more like a crazy quilt when they are done. It isn't worth it to me. I'm not a cake person, but love pies.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:01 AM

I have started making my own pie crusts. It's not hard. I use my food processor and they can be pre-made and frozen.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:18 AM

My Dad was having problems with them breaking apart-he thought they were out dated but they weren't. He got out his rolling pin, rolled them out a bit more and it seems to have solved the problem.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I buy the ready made deep dish crusts already in a pie pan. Nothing to do but fill. I like Pillsbury. Be sure and bake the pie on a cooking sheet so you won't have to lift the pie, the pie may buckle when lifted . I usually put the pie, pan and all, in a pretty pie dish after it's cooked.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:03 AM

Now that I've read all the comments regarding roll-up pie crusts which I have used from time to time (both name-brand and store-brand), I would like to have recipes from those of you who make perfect home-made pie crusts. When I lived in Texas, mine came out perfect, but since moving to the PNW, they don't seem to turn out that good. I may need to add more or less of some ingredient, but I haven't figured that out yet.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
Now that I've read all the comments regarding roll-up pie crusts which I have used from time to time (both name-brand and store-brand), I would like to have recipes from those of you who make perfect home-made pie crusts. When I lived in Texas, mine came out perfect, but since moving to the PNW, they don't seem to turn out that good. I may need to add more or less of some ingredient, but I haven't figured that out yet.
If you are from west Texas, add a little less flour, from east Texas add a little more to compensate for air moisture differences. Silly me once tried to use a candy recipe that works great on PNW, and it never did set up properly in East Texas when I lived there.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:03 AM

I use the Pillsbury roll up crusts when I am feeling lazy.lol It's usually when I am making a pot pie for dinner. As for pies I love Marie Callenders pies the best, almost as good as my Mom's.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:21 PM

I used to use the PET frozen pie crusts until the store replaced them with their brand...which were terrible. I use the Pillsbury refrigerated ones now. They do have to be at room temp to unroll properly. If they don't, I just finger press the holes together. I do brush melted butter the bottom of my ceramic pie dish and never have a problem with sticking. I also brush melted butter on the inside of the pie crust as well. It helps make a crispy crust, not soggy.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:50 PM

So many ideas to try! Thanks to all who chimed in...it was really interesting to read all the variations. I do let the crusts get to room temperature and I don't overfill. (Who wants to clean that mess?)
I won't respond to all, but have to say:
carolaiken-The story of your first husband and his mother's pie crust made me laugh out loud!
mike's girl-The ones from the green and white store are the ones that handled and tasted like plastic! They used to be good. Baking too long might be part of the issue. Lately the center seems to take a long time to be right.
toverly-I'll try the aerosol spray and flour combo.
madamekelly-I haven't tried the brand you mentioned, but may give it a go. Have to look up "Gallette." No idea what those are.
vernal-You win!! I am so stinkin' jealous that you are near a Polly's Pies. I had no idea you could buy their (or Marie's fresh pie dough). WE loved Polly's when we lived in CA...went nearly every Sunday. The Ollalaberry (SP?) pie was the BEST!
Stitchit123-I rolled out the dough, too, so thought maybe that was the problem. Didn't roll out the last crust, but it still stuck.
Pennyhal-Hadn't thought of butter. It might be worth a try.

So my education continues. I now have a recipe to try in a food processor and a few other brands to try. Pie is good!!
Old 01-17-2016, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I have bought them for years, and lately discovered what you describe in the name brand ones, but the generic store brand from "the richest owners/ poorest employees" store, are still nice. I use them to make Gallettes.
Because some one asked, "Galettes" are just a fancy French word for a pie made without a pie tin, it is how grandma made them. Kind of like the formless tarts you see on baking shows. Put the crust out flat, and put enough filling in the center (half of what fills a normal crust), fold the edges up toward the center pinching as needed, and bake as usual. I also use less sugar than recipes call for. I like my pies just a little tart, they taste more like fresh fruit that way.