Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
whats your favorite zucchini cassarole recipe??? >

whats your favorite zucchini cassarole recipe???

whats your favorite zucchini cassarole recipe???

Old 08-22-2009, 08:08 AM

Need some variety....do you have a favorite????
Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 AM

Sometimes I add cheese, a bit of chedder or pepper jack,
sometimes a bit of bacon or sausage crumbled up
sometimes mushrooms...
depends what I have on hand or feel like I want to add.
Use the basic recipe and go from there...
Hhhmmm....may add some brocoli next time...
YUMMY
:D
K
Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 PM

I can't say I ever make a casserole dedicated to zucchini, but I include it in stirfries and spaghetti.

I guess spaghetti counts as a casserole, at least the way I do it. For me, it's not just pasta topped with sauce. The sauce is the major element, because it contains a number of veggies and cheese and sometimes meat. So use any spaghetti sauce, even Ragu. Chop up and saute your zucchini along with onions, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli and whatever you feel like adding. Then add your tomato sauce/paste/seasonings. Cook and add in beef if you want. Grate on some cheese. Serve over the pasta. I prefer spirals or elbows, and whole wheat to enriched white noodles.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
I can't say I ever make a casserole dedicated to zucchini, but I include it in stirfries and spaghetti.

I guess spaghetti counts as a casserole, at least the way I do it. For me, it's not just pasta topped with sauce. The sauce is the major element, because it contains a number of veggies and cheese and sometimes meat. So use any spaghetti sauce, even Ragu. Chop up and saute your zucchini along with onions, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli and whatever you feel like adding. Then add your tomato sauce/paste/seasonings. Cook and add in beef if you want. Grate on some cheese. Serve over the pasta. I prefer spirals or elbows, and whole wheat to enriched white noodles.
sounds really good,will try that
Old 08-29-2009, 09:21 AM

My husband just mentioned the other day he liked the zuchini casserole my mother used to make. It might have been called rat - tat - toullie? It had zuchinnie, tomatoes, and other stuff in it? Can anyone translate that into a real recipe?? LOL!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:39 AM

I use it instead of noodles for a "lasagna"

Old 08-29-2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jbud2
My husband just mentioned the other day he liked the zuchini casserole my mother used to make. It might have been called rat - tat - toullie? It had zuchinnie, tomatoes, and other stuff in it? Can anyone translate that into a real recipe?? LOL!!!
Lots of variations for ratatouille, lots of recipes for it on the web. I have all the ingredients and have been planning to make one - preferably before my eggplant goes bad on me.

Ratatouille is a French dish, and it's all veggies. It's a heart-healthy, diet-friendly dish if you're sparing with the oil. It's unbelieveably good if you don't spare the oil. ; )

My Version (if you have The Vegetarian Epicure, it has a scrumptious but rich version)

1 large eggplant
1 zucchini
1 yellow pepper
1 green pepper (and/or 1 red pepper or other colors)
1 large white or purple onion
2 tomatoes (regular or Roma)
olive oil
garlic
salt
pepper
basil
parsley
thyme

1. Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
2. (You can skip this step if it's going to stop you from making the dish.) Salt each round well on both sides and place in a single layer on paper towels for half an hour. Then wipe away the moisture.
3. Slice or chop all vegetables into chunks or bite-size pieces as desired. Slice your eggplant rounds into strips.
4. You can just roast all the veggies, or saute/stirfry or put in a pot with some tomato paste (which makes it taste Italian, IMO) and cover and simmer for half an hour.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:29 PM

Both your recipes were similar. I combined elements from both and made a great batch of zuchini bread last weekend. It was quick and easy once the zuchini was shredded...and I did drain it. Thanks for sharing! I've never tried to freeze shredded zuchini, but I have enough frozen now for another six batches to make over winter. I'm going to try adding dried cranberries to one batch, and lemon zest and a lemon glaze to another for some variation. The blueberries and cheese you suggested sound great also. I think I'll try them all!