Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Why give your money for this nasty stuff? >

Why give your money for this nasty stuff?

Why give your money for this nasty stuff?

Old 06-11-2016, 05:22 AM

Very interesting. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:07 AM

The website is called "Organics". Says a lot right there. One of the comments was:

Q. Why the controversy?

A. Self-appointed
consumer watchdogs have produced numerous web pages filled with words
condemning carrageenan as an unsafe food additive for human consumption. However, in 70+ years of carrageenan being
used in processed foods, not a single
substantiated claim of an acute or chronic disease has been reported as arising
from carrageenan consumption. On a more
science-based footing, food regulatory agencies in the US, the EU, and in the
UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization (FAO/WHO) repeatedly
review and continue to approve carrageenan as a safe food additive.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:49 AM

I find these sort of articles to be oddly biased.

The combination of warnings does not make sense. Coal tar and carrageen? One is a natural product, the other produced in a chemical plant.

People used to eat lots of tripe, it is less common now, but still a good source of protein. So eating cow's stomach is ok, but eating a sheep or goats stomach is not? Rennet has been used in cheese making and can be bought to make pudding at home, why is it an issue?

Carrageen has been used in cooking for centuries.

The article mentions that Lanolin is used as nipple cream, so it is safe for babies, but not in gum? Lanolin is also used in many cosmetics, it is an incredible moisturizer. My grandmother worked with raw wool as a spinner and weaver, the lanolin in it helped her RA.

Beetles have been used as food, and cloth colouring for hundreds if not over 1000 years. Is it bad to eat bugs?

I do not think beavers should have their anal glands harvested, I have no idea is they kill the beaver to do that, but unless the whole animal is being consumed, I think it wrong. But is a naturally occurring flavouring worse than one produced in a chemical plant?

I do my best to eat locally produced food. I make most meals from scratch. I do read ingredient labels and refuse to buy some products due to certain ingredients, but more because I react to them. I cannot each cheese or anything else with Modified Milk Ingredients. I do not know what they are, but I do know I get sick if I consume food containing it.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I am a firm believer that good quality food is at the very top of the list to being healthy and staying healthy. I read the ingredient list of every food product I buy that isn't whole food. I don't buy water added meats or meats treated with solution. I use to work for a meat processing plant. Please if your ground beef is pink, don't buy it. Good ground beef is a dark red, the darker the better.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Can't be all that bad. I'm 65 years old, 66 next month. Have never been a fan of a lot of this like the Kraft Mac'n' cheese or much of the other foods. Many of the food colorings such as "red" comes from the actual beet vegetable. I am not about to give up my Jif peanut butter. So that itty bitty piece of whatever caught in between your tteth just might be a beetle bugor mouse hair or the excrement of a beaver berry. It might kill one's appetite if they think about it in the middle of a meal but by the next morning it will be forgotten and back at it. Everyday we wake up we are told it's a good day if we are vertical. I still believe it and I believe it's because of what I have eaten, drank breathed from the day before. So those beaver berries really can't be all bad and the mouse hairs are good fiber. Hmm wonder if there are is any testicular fortitude from rats included in our food for extra stamina!!
Amen!!
....when i was 16 my cardiologist told my mother and i that i would not live to see thirty if i didn't slow down, change my ways. didn't. and i passed the 30 yr milestone many years ago. i cut the worms out of apples, flick the bugs off the fresh vegies & berries i eat. i munch my way thru my pesticide, fungicide free garden & fruit trees. and i am hale & hearty at way past 30.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:33 PM

Why aren't the people we put on the hill doing more about this problem????? I think we NEED to hold them accountable for letting this happen......I'm just sayin..........
Old 06-11-2016, 06:44 PM

This is why I grow my own food! The only one I don't find awful, is the lanolin...I raised sheep at one time, it's not awful, it's just a natural oil that's in their fur. I can tell you, my hands were never so soft as they were when I was handling sheep! It's good stuff!
I just read an article about people sending the waste water from fracking to California to irrigate their vegetables with! Have we lost our minds in this country?
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/1881/p...tion_KEY=19080

I grow all of my own fruit and veggies, and buy my meat from a trusted local organ farm. All of these auto immune diseases, stomach problems, and autism, I firmly believe are coming from all the chemicals in our food. Insane.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I am a firm believer that good quality food is at the very top of the list to being healthy and staying healthy. I read the ingredient list of every food product I buy that isn't whole food. I don't buy water added meats or meats treated with solution. I use to work for a meat processing plant. Please if your ground beef is pink, don't buy it. Good ground beef is a dark red, the darker the better.
I agree..but not all of the time...they add red icky stuff to meat to make it red. Have you ever looked at the packaged beef at Walmart? Real beef is not THAT red...it looks horrible.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:53 PM

" Good ground beef is a dark red, the darker the better. "

I buy local grass fed beef. The colour is amazing, deep dark red and the flavour incredible. The ground beef is naturally lean, but juicy.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:49 PM

We eat plenty of bugs every night.