Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine? >

What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine?

What would you give for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine?

Old 10-04-2011, 11:46 AM

Oh, by the way, I named her Fancy.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by drgranny
Sorry, it has 4 drawers. I have been looking at this machine for a couple of years. It had a price of $425 on it so I have just kept looking. I went to the antique mall the other day and the booth had a 40% off sign. So I bought it. These machines are so simple that there is practically no up keep. This one has a drop in bobbin. The bobbins are available on ebay, just ordered some this morning. It isn't even very dirty. The head needs to be cleaned and polished, probably because it has never been cleaned but the decals are all intact. On the front edge in front of the needle one of the decals has a pin scratch. But the decals are firmly attached. Can't wait to get a belt for it so I can play!!!
There is a site that has lots of machines below $50 and have all been cleaned and refurbisheds but you have to add shipping to that and shipping isn't cheap. They have to be packed well enough to not get damaged in shipping. So.....maybe I paid to much for this machine but I have wanted it for a long time and I was willing to pay this price. Would have been nice to get it for under $100 but I have been looking for a long time. I am happy with my purchase!!!!
What a beautiful machine and cabinet! I have a red eye in a cabinet like that but mine is oak and not birds eye maple. I LOVE your cabinet. Enjoy it, I know you will!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR
Wow! That's crazy, because I was about to post a very similar question, but now I'll just hitchhike on your thread! :)

I found a working Singer in an antique store. The belt was off track and it didn't "work", but the foot pedal works and the needle goes up and down when you crank the wheel. It's clean and the cabinet is in good condition too. They are only asking $75 for it, and I offered $50. The store owners tried to get in touch with the owner of the machine, and wasn't able to yesterday. Today, the owner called me and had to leave me a message. She said she has a price they will accept (but she didn't leave it in the VM!). I've been looking on Craigslist and nobody comes close to the $75. I would like to have a solid "yes" or "no" for her when I return her call. I think I can probably get it for $65. I would love opinions on this!

I don't machine quilt right now because I'm very unfamiliar with my sewing machine. I am hoping I can start using my machine soon, but it's so fast and intimidating! I thought I could use a treadle to control the speed better until I get the hang of it.
You better grab it!! I just paid $250 for a red eye in a beautiful birdseye maple cabinet, six drawers. needs a belt. but it makes a beautiful tight stitch.
Really pretty! I've never seen one in birdseye maple before and it's with a Red Eye - just gorgeous!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by mrsmail
I paid $125 for a Singer 3/4 machine made in Great Britain and brought over from Scotland by the ladies' family. (Most I have paid.) Well worth the money. The cabinet has only 1 drawer but is in very nice condition. I paid $106 for a Singer Cabinet with a beautiful Red Eye Machine in it. Cabinet and machine looked like almost new. Needed a new belt, which my sewing machine man here in town sold me for $11 and some change. I have 10 treadle machines. Now that I am really looking for them, they are everywhere. I have bought machines that are not SINGER, but I bought those for the cabinets, in case I get heads with no treadles. I really only want to buy SINGER. I am looking for a
Singer(Tiffany) if you know of anyone who has one for sale within driving distance of me.

One of the treadle from CL this morning - Tiffany with a fantastic cabinet - driving distance a little far:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2631604415.html
this is a beautiful cabinet!!
I have never seen a cabinet like that one.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovelyl
I'd be more interested in a 128 with La Vincedora decals or in a Singer treadle cabinet.
If it's a 115 with "Tiffany" decals, even more interested.

I have a 115 with Tiffany decals - only the head. Is this a good enough machine to look for a treadle base to put it in? I was thinking about selling it...[/quote]

yes.,,,and I found a base in Guthrie OK in MINT condition for $175!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by mrsmail
I paid $125 for a Singer 3/4 machine made in Great Britain and brought over from Scotland by the ladies' family. (Most I have paid.) Well worth the money. The cabinet has only 1 drawer but is in very nice condition. I paid $106 for a Singer Cabinet with a beautiful Red Eye Machine in it. Cabinet and machine looked like almost new. Needed a new belt, which my sewing machine man here in town sold me for $11 and some change. I have 10 treadle machines. Now that I am really looking for them, they are everywhere. I have bought machines that are not SINGER, but I bought those for the cabinets, in case I get heads with no treadles. I really only want to buy SINGER. I am looking for a Singer(Tiffany) if you know of anyone who has one for sale within driving distance of me.

One of the treadle from CL this morning - Tiffany with a fantastic cabinet - driving distance a little far:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2631604415.html
WOw....I would LOVE this machine!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:57 PM

I paid $90. at an auction years ago. Don't have it now though, she's residing with my MIL. She wanted to make a quilt once when visiting so I cut four patches for her. She didn't want to use any of my electric machines so she started piecing by hand and realized it would take some time. When I told her I had a treadle in the garage where our bee met she got so excited! Seems she learned to sew on that. So, we brought it in and she finished the top while here. When we took her home we took the machine as well because she got such pleasure from it. As long as she lives it is hers whether she uses it or not. Then it will come home, hopefully MANY years from now!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:11 PM

the belt has to come off to close the cabinet , just put it back on ..these old machines wre made to last , not much can go wrong
Old 10-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
(Side note: You realize don't you, that this is NOT the end? They tend to keep coming home with you! :lol: )
Tell me about it! I bought one dirt cheap, both the machine and the cabinet needed resto. Gave the cabinet to hubby to restore and I'm doing the machine. HE is already prowling Craigs List, garage sales, and E-Bay looking for more!! We're not even done restoring this one yet!!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:19 PM

I was lucky and do sewing for a neighbor who had a singer red eye treadle that she sold to me for $50. I can't post pictures until i get help, but someday soon I will. The cabinet is oak veneer with a couple small chips in it, but in pretty good condition anyway. The machine was built in 1920 and it sews just fine. I cleaned & oiled it & put in a new needle. It has attachments & the original book ( manual). I really lucked out on this.