Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is the general public really that ignorant? >

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CharlottsQuilts View Post
I never knew exactly how much it costs to make a quilt, since I buy an make it in different batches, so I have decided to keep a log on each quilt I make, including the pattern price, fabric, batting, quilting. I won't even put in the labor, but I am so curious to see the final total. I only have two quilts that I have started this, and I think I will make it a habit, even if it is just for my own knowledge.
while keeping track of all of your expenses- keep track *loosely* of your time too...then think about minimum wage...it's an eye opener! and for those of you who do consider make quilts for people to buy...ALWAYS get a deposit -50% is reasonable- and let them know- the deposit is NON-Refundable - since it will be used to purchase materials- AND, balance is due upon completion- before handing over the quilt--if they decide they do not want the quilt they do not get their deposit back- nor do they get the quilt- then you have it to resell elsewhere- or gift- what ever and you are not out anything. you should treat it the same as any artist commissioned to do a job- collect your deposit to cover your costs- and agree to a price before cutting a single piece of fabric or spending a dime. when I am approached & asked about making a quilt for someone I start with the size wanted=== a kids quilt (smaller than a twin) starts at $150, a queen starts at $500...then we go from there with details. remember your time is valuable regardless of it being a hobby or a job- and materials are expensive- along with the materials you have to go purchase you also have electricity, machine wear & tear *maintenance costs* lot of 'incidentals' to cover too and can really add up. if you are not ready to take the steps be honest with them and yourself and simply say so.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I received a request to make 4 twin size quilts, 50x80. My daughter sent him to me so I assumed he understood what quilts are all about. I took about 10 minutes to write up a quote of $190 each and sent it out. He came right back to me with "No thanks, I have a quote already at $75". Really? $75? Who makes a twin size quilt for $75? I can't hardly get the fabrics and batting for that much. Was my quote too high?
Your quote was, imho, about $200 too low. Count your lucky stars you are out of this mess. Non quilters have no idea of the difference between what we do and what they can buy for less than $100.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 AM

I always tell people that is will be at least $500, and maybe as much as $1200, and that I will get back to them with the final price after they have chosen the fabric and pattern. Very few people call back. I had a person who wanted me to duplicate a baby quilt, that was hand embroidered, and designed especially for her grandchild for the rest of her grandchildren for $50 each. Speak kind of the uninformed.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:27 AM

Wow! As a longarmer I cannot even quilt a twin for $75!
Old 08-31-2013, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
My husband and I had this very discussion a couple of months ago, and when I made the same point, my quiltmaking vs his woodworking, he thought about it for quite a while and agreed that people would balk at paying quilt prices but not woodworking prices. But why is that? Is it because people are truly ignorant of how much work goes into making a quilt? Or do we somehow, even in this day and age, still place a lower value on "women's work"?
That may very well be part of it. My husband read an article recently in a national newspaper (the Wall St Journal, I think), that told of a recent college grad who sent out 200 resumes with zero responses. It wasn't until he put "Mr." in front of his gender neutral first name that he began hearing back from potential employers. I wasn't surprised--I grew up before Title 9--and my high school students think women have full equality! We do not! IMHO

Perhaps people think a woman quilter is just "sewing" but a male quilter is an "artist." Any male quilters out there who'd like to respond?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:39 AM

I think we are all a " throw away society" to some extent, and to some a "quilt" is just another bed covering to use until tired of or room redecorated and then time for a new one..... So I only make "quilts" for myself, my own-the ones whom I know will not relegate it to the pet bed, or charity.........I don't expect mine to one day be hanging in the smithsonian but would like to know that the recipient will think of me occasionally when they cuddle up to it.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 AM

Yes, they are ignorant and yes it is an insult. Try not to be too insulted though, it's not just you; they draw their conclusions from stores selling made in China and other places. Everything is made overseas now...we're outsourced; even our American Christmas wrapping paper, ornies and cards are from China...our Christmas is all made and wrapped up by China! Only people that handcraft or have an eye for handcrafted understand quality and workmanship. I jokingly wanted to name my developing handcrafted business "This Aint Chiner" to keep people as such as you came across from wasting my time.

I designed and made a stunning greeting card that my friend liked...she said (enthusiastically!) she'd pay a dollar for it. When she left (without one), I was so discouraged, I cried and questioned what I was doing and almost quit doing anything handcrafted. My daughter brought my card to her job one day...I sold about 8 of them for 15 dollars each...to others that recognized design and craftsmanship.

Makes me wonder where this nations values went and if they will ever come back...they will pay a thousand bucks for a cheap purse with a designer name plastered on it, thats made in China, but snub handcrafted American talent and ingenuity.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scraplady View Post
And with some people, it truly is just ignorance of what goes into making a quilt. My husband once asked me to make an Ole Miss themed baby quilt for a coworker. He followed the daily progress as I made it. When it was done, he said, "Wow, I never realized how much work went into one of those!" .
Absolutely!!! Even people who appreciate a fine hand made quilt are clueless. I made my mom a lap quilt. I had it all cut out and went to vist her for a week and brought it along as a project. She watched me sewing it and said the exact same thing as scraplady's husband, word for word! And that was just the piecing! She has never seen me LA but she has seen me handquilt.

So unless you are a sewer or quilter, most people have no clue how much work goes into one and are completely oblivious to the cost of materials in a quality custom quilt.

OP, your quoted price was not only reasonable, I think it was quite low. Either someone is willing to pay the price I want or not. If not, "No quilt for you!"
Old 08-31-2013, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
I am not surprised that the general public has no idea what goes into personally making a quilt. My brother-in-law has made some gorgeous wood furniture including a dining room table. I would absolutley love having him make one for me, but would never ever ask. I have no idea what materials cost, nor how much time is involved or his time is worth. But that is because I view his work as being produced by a craftsman, not someone who had wookshop in high
school. What surprises me is that quilters continue to be surprised that outsiders have no idea what goes into their craft. And they never will, unless they try themselves.
You can say that again! Woodworking and quilting are a good analogy. My DH is a carpenter/woodworker and people have often said "your work is so beautiful you should make & sell furniture". For example we have a 5 piece, one of a kind entertainment center custom designed and made for a corner of our living room. Your cost? $15,000. Solid wood -very good wood-copper and glass insets, hand crafted designs- most people have no idea what they are looking at- same in quilting. When I look at the quilts in stores, having worked with the local people in the Caribbean, Central America and Asia, it makes me sad to think of the women and children working long hours in despicable conditions to produce products at those prices.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

For that price he will only get no cutting, no piecing, just solid pieced top, cheap batting, horrible back material and stitched (by machine) only a couple of times throughout the quilt so it can fall apart in the wash. Good luck to him.